Choose wholegrain options such as whole wheat pasta and brown rice where possible as they contain more fibre, vitamins and minerals.
Scroll down, or click to view:
You can also download our potatoes, bread, rice, pasta and other starchy foods portion guide.
- One fist-sized baked/jacket potato
- Three tablespoons of mash
- Two egg-sized new or boiled potatoes
- A piece of baguette the length of a hand
- Two heaped tablespoons of rice
- Two tablespoons of cous cous
- Two tablespoons of cooked pasta
- Or one handful of uncooked pasta
- Half a pack of egg noodles
One portion is...
- One tablespoon of granola
- Two tablespoons of muesli
- Three tablespoons of cornflakes
- Three tablespoons of porridge, or 27g of uncooked porridge oats
Watch out for large plates
Using larger plates can make a serving of food appear smaller, encouraging us to eat more than we need.