Aim to eat at least five portions with a variety of fruit and veg each day. Choose from fresh, frozen, tinned, dried or juiced.
Scroll down or click to view:
You can also download a PDF of our fruit and vegetables portion guide.
- One portion is three heaped tablespoons (of tinned fruit in natural juice).
- One portion is one heaped tablespoon (clockwise from top left: apricots, figs, prunes and raisins).
One small glass of fruit juice (150ml) = one portion
Fruit juice counts as one of your 5-a-day however much you drink.
Fruit juice and/or smoothies are high in free sugars, so should be limited to no more than a combined total of 150ml per day.
A quick guide to fruit portions:
Small fruit portion = as many as you can fit into the palm of your hand
- Grapes, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, gooseberries.
Medium fruit portion = two fruits
Whole fresh fruit = one fruit
- Apple, pear, orange, banana.
Large fruit portion = one slice a fingertip length thickness
- Pineapple, melon, grapefruit.
Download a PDF of our fruit and vegetables portion guide.