- Usually at least three to six years successful postdoctoral work with a series of first or senior author high impact research papers.
- Residency requirements do not apply.
- Five years duration, with the possibility of a two year extension (more information about applying for an extension to a fellowship can be found here).
- Part of the award may be spent overseas or at a second UK institution, subject to a justified case being made.
- In the established UK-based home institution, the candidate must have the support of a named senior investigator who will guarantee access to space and resources and provide scientific guidance for the duration of their fellowship. This individual should be named on the application form as a 'Supervisor' and provide an appropriate letter of support as part of the application.
- In an overseas/second UK institution, the candidate must additionally have the support of a named senior investigator who will guarantee access to space and resources and provide scientific guidance for the duration of the stay. This individual should provide an appropriate letter of support as part of the application.
- The fellowship may be taken up on a part-time employment basis, where appropriate, following discussion and agreement with us and the employing institution. For more information read about our Flexible working policies.
Award may include
- Salary of applicant.
- Salary of a technician or research assistant if required and fully justified.
- Research consumables directly attributable to the project. Consumables will not normally be provided overseas; facilities should be provided by the host department.
- Research equipment essential for the project. Equipment will not be provided overseas; facilities must be provided by the host department.
For overseas visits of up to six months:
- Economy class travel expenses for the fellow only.
- A justified subsistence allowance.
For overseas visits of more than six months:
- One return economy fare for the fellow and immediate family.
- A reasonable contribution to healthcare insurance (e.g. applicable to USA).
- Housing contribution up to £3,000.
Who can apply?
The online application form must be completed by the applicant.
How to apply
You will be asked to attach a single PDF document to your online application form containing the following information:
- For resubmissions, include an unedited copy of the original feedback followed by a detailed response, limited to 3 sides of A4, explaining how the revised application has changed from the original submission.
- Abstract of the proposed investigation in less than 150 words.
- Background to the project and pilot data.
- Original hypothesis.
- Experimental details and design of proposed investigation.
- Power calculations.
- Expected value of results.
- List of references relevant to the proposed project.
- Full CV of the applicant, including list of publications, statement of career intentions and email address.
- Appendices should be a maximum of 3 additional pages containing only tables or figures essential to the understanding of the application. Research papers whether published, in press or in preparation may not be attached (although hyperlinks can be provided).
- Letter of support from senior investigator named as supervisor.
- If a second institution or overseas visit is proposed, include letter of support from a senior investigator who will provide access to space, resources and scientific guidance for the duration of the stay.
- Letter of support from Head of Department.
- Brief CV (two A4 sides including email address) of named staff (in addition to the applicant) for whom salary is requested.
- Supporting letters from collaborators.
- Quotes obtained for requested equipment.
- Valid copy of ethical approval if relevant.
Sections 2-7 must not exceed six A4 sides. The PDF file size must not exceed 20MB.
Please ensure Arial font size 12 is used. If this font size is not used, the application will be rejected prior to formal consideration.
The BHF is prepared to consider funding or part-funding Intermediate Basic Science Research Fellowships that include research experience with an industry partner. Please contact our office for advice if you are considering applying for a co-funded Intermediate Basic Science Research Fellowship.
There are no closing dates.
Please submit the application when it is ready. Receipt will be acknowledged within 24 hours and we will advise you when you can expect the result. Candidates may be interviewed and a decision on this will be reached by the Fellowships Committee (four meetings a year) after it has considered external peer review reports.
Allow nine months from submission to decision.