- Candidates should be in the final year of their PhD studies or have no more than two years of postdoctoral research experience from the date of the PhD viva.
- Candidates must be able to show, by publications or otherwise, evidence of exceptional research ability.
- The fellowship should not be held in the institution where the PhD was carried out.
- Residency requirements do not apply.
- Four years without extension.
- We strongly encourage that up to 1.5 years of the award are spent overseas or in a second UK institution.
- A supervisor is required in each laboratory, who must be able to guarantee the candidate access to space and resources for the required period and provide relevant scientific guidance.
- The fellowship may be taken up on a part-time employment basis, where appropriate, following discussion and agreement with us and the employing institution. For more information read about our Flexible working policies.
Award may include
- Salary of applicant.
- Reasonable research consumables and small items of equipment directly attributable to the project. Consumables and equipment will not normally be provided overseas; facilities should be provided by the host department.
For overseas visits of up to 6 months:
- Economy class travel expenses for the fellow only.
- A justified subsistence allowance.
For overseas visits of more than 6 months:
- One return economy fare for the fellow and immediate family.
- A reasonable contribution to healthcare insurance (e.g. applicable to USA).
- Housing contribution up to £3,000
How to apply
Who can apply?
The online application form must be completed by the applicant.
You will be asked to attach a single PDF document to your online application form containing the following information:
- Abstract of the proposed investigation in less than 150 words.
- Background to the project and pilot data.
- Original hypothesis.
- Experimental details and design of proposed investigation.
- Power calculations.
- Expected value of results.
- List of references relevant to the proposed project.
- Full CV of the applicant, including list of publications, statement of career intentions and email address.
- Additional pages for appendices (e.g. charts, graphs, photos) must be kept to a minimum and should be submitted only if essential to the understanding of the application.
- Letter of support from PhD supervisor.
- Letters of support from proposed fellowship supervisors.
- Letter of support from Head of Department where fellowship will be based.
- Brief CVs of the supervisors (2 A4 sides max each).
- Supporting letters from collaborators.
- Valid copy of ethical approval if relevant.
Sections 1-6 must not exceed 6 A4 sides. The PDF file size must not exceed 20MB.
Please ensure Arial font size 12 is used. If this font size is not used, the application will be rejected prior to formal consideration.
The BHF is prepared to consider funding or part-funding Immediate Postdoctoral Basic Science Research Fellowships that include research experience with an industry partner. Please contact our office for advice if you are considering applying for a co-funded Immediate Postdoctoral Basic Science Research Fellowship.
There are no closing dates.
Please submit the application when it is ready. Receipt will be acknowledged within 24 hours and we will advise you when you can expect the result. A decision will be reached by the Fellowships Committee (four meetings a year) after it has considered external peer review reports.
Short-listed candidates will usually be interviewed.
Allow 9 months from submission to decision.
Resubmissions are not allowed.