- Application should usually be after Foundation year two, but before award of a CCT
- Usually three years to complete a PhD, although applications for two years to complete an MD or equivalent will be considered.
Award may include
- Salary of applicant.
- Research consumables directly attributable to the project, usually less than £10,000 per year, but larger amounts will be considered if fully justified.
How to apply
- Read the information in How to apply.
- If you are applying for funding for a clinical study, also read:
- Log onto the online application form.
- Complete all the sections of the online application form following the instructions in the GMS User Guide.
Who can apply?
- The online application form must be completed by an established investigator who will be the supervisor and may be for a named student only.
- The primary supervisor must devote a minimum of 10% of their time to supervising the student and a second supervisor should also be included.
You will be asked to attach a single PDF document to your online application form containing the following information:
- For resubmissions, include previous feedback and provide a detailed response explaining how the revised application has changed from the original submission.
- Abstract of the proposed investigation in less than 150 words.
- Background to the project and pilot data.
- Original hypothesis.
- Experimental details and design of proposed investigation.
- If requesting funding for a clinical study, include all information listed in the Clinical Study Guidelines (Interventional Study) or in the Clinical Study Guidelines (Observational Study).
- Power calculations.
- Expected value of results.
- List of references relevant to the proposed project.
- List of recent relevant publications from supervisor.
- Additional pages for appendices (e.g. charts, graphs, photos) must be kept to a minimum and should be submitted only if essential to the understanding of the application.
- Statement detailing the scientific techniques in which the candidate will be trained.
- Candidate’s training programme listing skills to be acquired during the grant.
- Full CV of the candidate, including list of publications, statement of career intentions and academic email address.
- Supporting letters from collaborators.
- Valid copy of ethical approval if relevant.
Sections 2-7 must not exceed 6 A4 sides. The PDF file size must not exceed 20MB.
Please ensure Arial font size 12 is used. If this font size is not used, the application will be rejected prior to formal consideration.
The BHF is prepared to consider funding or part-funding Clinical Research Training Fellowships that include research experience with an industry partner (for example, experience of experimental medicine). Please contact our office for advice if you are considering applying for a co-funded Clinical Research Training Fellowship.
There are no closing dates.
Please submit the application when it is ready. Receipt will be acknowledged within 24 hours and we will advise you when you can expect the result. A decision will be reached by the Fellowships Committee (four meetings a year) after it has considered external peer review reports.
Allow six months from submission to decision.