How do I know if a gift is meant for the BHF?
If you're acting as an executor, you should know a gift in a Will is for us if it contains some or all of the following information:
- Our registered charity number (RCN) - 225971 - stated in the Will. Our RCN is unique to us as a charity, and will identify us as the benefactor immediately.
- Our name, or a variation of our name (for example 'the British Heart Foundation' 'BHF', etc) appears in the Will.
- Our current or a previous Head Office address appears in the Will, or the address of one of our shops, regional offices or another address related to the British Heart Foundation.
You may also know a gift is for us if there is any of the following:
- A history of lifetime support for the British Heart Foundation by the person who made the Will
- Any clues in the notes taken by a Will draftsman when the Will was made, that indicate we could be the benefactor.
How do I pay in a legacy cheque?
Please make cheques payable to ‘British Heart Foundation’, mark for the attention of the Legacy Management Team and send to our Head Office address (below). If you'd prefer to make a payment by means other than cheque, please get in touch with us on [email protected] or call us on 020 7554 0075.
When you send a legacy cheque, we'd be really grateful if you could also include:
- The full name and title of the deceased
- Their last address – this will also allow us to prevent any future mailings, as we know this can be distressing at a difficult time
- The date of death
- The Executor’s name and contact details
- A copy of the Will
- Any information about the reason for the legacy.
Your details as executor will not be added to any mailing lists as a result of contacting us about a legacy.
Gifts in Wills and tax exemption
As a registered charity, we're exempt from inheritance tax, capital gains tax and some aspects of income tax. These exemptions apply to legacy gifts and estate administration, and can increase the value of a gift at no cost to any other beneficiary. If you're an executor, see what this means for you.
However, these exemptions have limitations and it can be complicated to work out. You might need to get specialist advice. To avoid the estate paying more tax than necessary, please contact us and we'd be very happy to discuss any of these issues with you. Alternatively, you may also find HMRC's website and helpline (0845 302 0900) useful.
Our charity details
These details are required in all Wills written by a solicitor. Executors will find this helpful when ensuring any gift left to the BHF reach us.
Registered Charity Number: 225971
Head Office address: Greater London House, 180 Hampstead Road, London NW1 7AW
Our previous addresses have been:
- 14 Fitzhardinge Street, London, WIH 6DH
- 57 Gloucester Place, London, W1
- 102 Gloucester Place, London, W1
Need more help?
If you have any questions, please feel free to get in touch with our specialist Legacy Management Team on [email protected], or call us on 020 7554 0075, and we'll do everything we can to help. If you need any definitions of legal or financial terms you've come across when writing or executing a Will, take a look at our Glossary.
Request a free guide