- Usually more than three years postdoctoral experience, but applicants with less postdoctoral experience are also eligible to apply.
- Applicant must hold a post in the UK and a guaranteed post to return to after the fellowship.
- One month to one year, with the possibility of an extension of up to one year.
Award may include
For visits of up to six months:
- Economy class travel expenses for the fellow only
- A justified subsistence allowance.
For visits of more than six months:
- The fellowship will reimburse the university a replacement salary for a tenured member of staff, or pay the salary of a non-tenured fellow.
- One return economy fare for the fellow and immediate family.
- A reasonable contribution to healthcare insurance (e.g. applicable to USA).
- Housing contribution up to £3,000.
- Research expenses will not normally be awarded; facilities should be provided by the host department.
How to apply
- Read the information in How to apply.
- Log onto the online application form.
- Complete all the sections of the online application form following the instructions in the GMS User Guide.
- Ensure the named Supervisor in the application form is your UK Supervisor.
You will be asked to attach a single PDF document to your on line application form containing the following information:
- For resubmissions, include previous feedback and provide a detailed response, limited to 3 sides of A4, explaining how the revised application has changed from the original submission.
- Abstract of the proposed investigation in 200 words or less.
- Background to the project and pilot data.
- Original hypothesis.
- Experimental details and design of proposed investigation.
- Power calculations.
- Expected value of results.
- List of references relevant to the proposed project.
- The contribution to be made by each co-applicant and collaborator (maximum of one A4 side).
- Full CV of the applicant, including list of publications, statement of career intentions and email address.
- Appendices should be a maximum of 3 sides of A4 containing only tables or figures essential to the understanding of the application. Research papers whether published, in press or in preparation may not be attached (although hyperlinks can be provided).
- Details of the purpose of the visit, place(s) to be visited and what the applicant hopes to gain as a result of the visit.
- Letter of acceptance by the host institution.
- Letter of support from the Head of Department in the UK.
- Brief CV (two A4 sides including email address) of named replacement staff (for visits of more than six months).
- Supporting letters from collaborators.
- Valid copy of ethical approval if relevant.
Sections 2-7 must not exceed six A4 sides. The PDF file size must not exceed 20MB.
Please ensure Arial font size 12 is used. If this font size is not used, the application will be rejected prior to formal consideration.
There are no closing dates.
Please submit the application when it is ready. Receipt will be acknowledged within 24 hours and we will advise you when you can expect the result. Candidates may be interviewed and a decision on this will be reached by the Fellowships Committee (four meetings a year) after it has considered external peer review reports.
Allow nine months from submission to decision.