1. Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan oven/gas mark 6. With a sharp knife, make several slashes into the skin of the chicken legs. Rub in the dried herbs, season with black pepper and set aside.
2. Put the leek, onion, parsnip, carrot, potatoes, orange zest and juice in a small roasting tin and spoon the olive oil over it. Toss everything together until coated in the oil. Lay the chicken legs on top.
3. Roast in the oven for 45 minutes. Pour in the apple juice or cider and spoon the pan juices over the chicken legs. Reduce the temperature to 180°C/160°C fan oven/gas mark 4 and continue to cook for a further 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables golden. To check, push a skewer into the fattest part of the legs and the juices should run clear.
4. Remove the skin from the chicken legs and serve with the roasted vegetables, pan juices and a cooked green vegetable such as peas or cabbage.
- Cut the all vegetables into roughly the same size pieces so that they cook evenly.