8 ways to get active every day
BHF Physical Activity Specialist Lisa Young offers tips on how we can make ourselves more active.
1. Find an activity you enjoy and make it even more fun; listen to music while you do it or attend a class with a friend or family member.
2. Everyday activity, such as walking or cycling to the shops or to work, is a great way to get your heart pumping. There is a greater chance of success if you build physical activity into your daily routine.
3. If you enjoy walking, add some variety and push yourself further with Nordic walking poles. Using two poles while you walk gets your arms and core involved, making your physical activity more well-rounded.
To challenge yourself even more, incorporate a small hill into the route of your walk, or try carrying small weights.
Get inspired by our feature about woodland walks.
4. Use tools to support you, such as the NHS Choices’ Couch to 5k plan.
Read about free apps for your smartphone that can inspire you to get active.
5. Set yourself a goal or challenge. Why not take part in a mass participation challenge, such as a BHF walk, run or bike ride?
6. Take advantage of the great outdoors – meet friends for a walk at your local park, or take your children or grandchildren for a kick-about.
7. Encourage young children to be active through the games they play.
Read more about healthy exercise for children.
8. Take the stairs instead of the lift or escalator, whenever possible.