Should my business have a defibrillator?
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) recommend that certain businesses have defibrillators and others should perform a needs assessment to identify if they should have one. This needs assessment includes:
- consideration of how many people may be passing through, or near, your workplace (as the likelihood of cardiac arrest increases with more people)
- the age of those people (as cardiac arrest is more likely with age)
- the nature of the location (as remoteness may affect emergency service response times).
Some businesses choose to have defibrillators on their premises regardless of a needs assessment because they want to demonstrate their commitment to keeping their colleagues and local community safe.
What are the benefits of having a defibrillator in my workplace?
Less than 1 in 10 people in the UK survive an out-of-hospital cardiac arrest. This has been partly attributed to two factors that businesses are perfectly placed to improve:
- there aren’t enough people prepared to perform CPR when someone has a cardiac arrest
- there aren’t enough defibrillators.
By having a defibrillator in your workplace and training colleagues in CPR, businesses can play an important part in helping more people survive a cardiac arrest. You’ll also demonstrate to colleagues and the local community that your business takes people’s safety seriously.
How can I buy a defibrillator?
By getting in touch, we can tailor a package to meet the needs of your business, including:
- defibrillators and a free CPR training manikin
- cabinets and all the necessary accessories, including promotional material
- ongoing support with how to maintain your defibrillator in the future.