We work with local politicians from all political parties at Local Government, Assembly, Westminster and European Parliament level. We advise them on health policy and developments in cardiovascular research.
Working with other local charities, healthcare professionals and thousands of dedicated campaigners we fight against heart disease.
Leading the fight
Thanks to the BHF-led research you support, four in five babies born with life threatening heart problems now grow up. But even with your help, we can’t fund research alone. The government plays its part too. Help us protect the science budget beyond 2016 and write to your MP to guarantee investment in research across the UK.
CONTACT YOUR MP
Our local campaigners have helped us make amazing changes that have improved the lives of everyone in Northern Ireland. But our work is not done.
With Assembly elections taking place in May 2016, we will be working hard in Northern Ireland to make sure people living with heart conditions have access to the best information, care, support and treatment to keep their hearts healthy.
We will be focusing on:
- Campaigning to make opt out a reality by campaigning for a change in the organ donation law – Andrew Duncan’s story.
- Championing prevention and early identification
- Supporting people living with heart failure
- Improving access to vital life-enhancing cardiac rehabilitation
- Championing good quality care for people living with heart conditions in Northern Ireland
- Monitoring the implementation of important Strategies and Frameworks
Join the fight and help make a difference. Find out about all our UK wide campaigns and become an e-campaigner.
Our campaigning successes
Over the past five years we’ve made a difference to local people’s lives in Northern Ireland through our campaigning work. Our successes include:
- Engaging and influencing decision makers for the development of Northern Ireland’s first ever Community Resuscitation Strategy which aims to increase survival rates from out of hospital cardiac arrests in Northern Ireland.
- Working towards a tobacco free Northern Ireland, for a ban on the sale of cigarette products via vending machines and a ban on tobacco displays of cigarettes at the point of sale in all shops.
- Working in partnership with other local charities for the introduction of standardised packaging across the UK.
- We influence decision makers on best practice at all levels of Health and Social care.