Making the most of your donation
Our shops are facing a stock crisis
due to growing numbers of commercial collectors – companies that
collect stock on behalf of charities for financial
All of our doorstep collections are
carried out by clearly identified vans and
drivers, and 100% of the profits help our fight against
Some charities who don't have high street shops form
relationships with commercial collectors for profit. The commercial
company keeps all the donated items and sells these overseas. The
charity involved, in some cases, gets as little as 5% of the
It is vital commercial companies act responsibly and be
transparent on their charity bags – particularly around how much
profit the named charity will actually make from a collection.
- Take your donations directly into the charity shop you wish to
- Check charity bags and leaflets for information about how much
of the proceeds from your items go to the charity.
- BHF Shops carry out doorstep collections using clearly
identified vans and drivers. Ask the collector for identification
if you’re not sure.
- If you’ve got some larger, good quality items you’d like to
donate such as sofas, wardrobes, tables and beds – your local
furniture & electrical store can
arrange a free collection. Call your local store or book a collection online
Find out more about how commercial collectors are impacting our
What do your donations mean to us?
- One pair of good quality shoes helps to provide
information and support from a cardiac nurse on our Heart
- Two sofas can fund a hand held ECG machine
meaning a patient can monitor their own heart from home.
- 22 dresses fund a BHF heart nurse for the
Find out what you
can (and can’t) donate