- The principal investigator will usually be a post-doctoral researcher at any stage of their career.
- The centre where the work is to be pursued must be an established research institution in the UK.
Award may include
- Staff salaries. For example: technician, research assistant, postdoctoral salaries. This excludes support for PhD students, who are not eligible to work on a Project Grant.
- Research consumables directly attributable to the project.
- Research equipment essential for the project.
How to apply
- Read the information in How to apply.
- If you are applying for funding for a clinical study, also read:
- Log onto the online application form.
- Complete all the sections of the online application form following the instructions in the GMS User Guide.
You will be asked to attach a single PDF document to your online application form containing the following information:
- For resubmissions, include an unedited copy of the original feedback followed by a detailed response, limited to 3 pages, explaining how the revised application has changed from the original submission.
- Abstract of the proposed investigation in less than 150 words.
- Background to the project and pilot data.
- Original hypothesis.
- Experimental details and design of proposed investigation.
- Power calculations.
- Expected value of results.
- List of references relevant to the proposed project.
- List of principal investigator's and co-applicant(s)' relevant publications.
- Appendices should be a maximum of 3 additional pages containing only tables or figures essential to the understanding of the application. Research papers whether published, in press or in preparation may not be attached (although hyperlinks can be provided).
- Brief CV (two A4 sides including email address) of named staff for whom salary is requested.
- Supporting letters from collaborators.
- Quotes obtained for requested equipment.
- Valid copy of ethical approval if relevant.
Sections 2-7 must not exceed six A4 sides. The PDF file size must not exceed 20MB.
Please ensure Arial font size 12 is used. If this font size is not used, the application will be rejected prior to formal consideration.
There are no closing dates. Please submit the application when it is ready.
Receipt will be acknowledged within 24 hours and we will advise you when you can expect the result. A decision will be reached by the Project Grants Committee (four meetings a year) after it has considered external peer review reports.
Please allow six months from submission to decision.