- Successful PhD (or MD) plus NTN and at least two years completed specialist training, but usually no more than two years after CCT.
- NTN will be exchanged for NTN(A) on appointment, and the individual may progress to consultant level during the fellowship.
- Five years duration, with the possibility of a two year extension if a strong case can be made (e.g. that this will lead to a competitive application for a more senior personal award). At least 50% of time must be devoted to research.
- Part of the award may be spent overseas subject to a justified case being made.
- In the established UK-based home institution, the candidate must have the support of a named senior investigator who will guarantee access to space and resources and provide scientific guidance for the duration of their fellowship. This individual should be named on the application form as a 'Supervisor' and provide an appropriate letter of support as part of the application.
- In an overseas/second UK institution, the candidate must additionally have the support of a named senior investigator who will guarantee access to space and resources and provide scientific guidance for the duration of the stay. This individual should provide an appropriate letter of support as part of the application.
- The fellowship may be taken up on a part-time employment basis, where appropriate, following discussion and agreement with us and the employing institution. For more information, read about our Flexible working policies.
Award may include
- Salary of applicant (if after CCT, normally up to 10 PAs).
- Salary for technician or research assistant if required and fully justified.
- Research consumables, directly attributable to the project. Consumables will not normally be provided overseas; facilities should be provided by the host department.
- Research equipment essential for the project. Equipment will not be provided overseas; facilities must be provided by the host department.
For overseas visits of up to six months:
- Economy class travel expenses for the fellow only.
- A justified subsistence allowance.
For overseas visits of more than six months:
- One return economy fare for the fellow and immediate family.
- A reasonable contribution to healthcare insurance (e.g. applicable to USA).
- Housing contribution up to £3,000.
How to apply
- Read the information in How to apply.
- If you are applying for funding for a clinical study, also read:
- Log onto the online application form.
- Complete all the sections of the online application form following the instructions in the GMS User Guide.
- The online application must be completed by the applicant.
- Short-listed candidates may be interviewed.
You will be asked to attach a single PDF document to your online application form containing the following information:
- For resubmissions, include previous feedback and provide a detailed response explaining how the revised application has changed from the original submission.
- Abstract of the proposed investigation in less than 150 words.
- Background to the project and pilot data.
- Original hypothesis.
- Experimental details and design of proposed investigation.
- Power calculations.
- Expected value of results.
- List of references relevant to the proposed project.
- Full CV of the applicant, including list of publications, statement of career intentions and email address.
- Additional pages for appendices (e.g. charts, graphs, photos); must be kept to a minimum and should be submitted only if essential to the understanding of the application.
- Letter of support from the Head of Department.
- Letter of support from senior investigator named as supervisor.
- If a second institution or overseas visit is proposed, include letter of support from a senior investigator who will provide access to space, resources and scientific guidance for the duration of the stay.
- Pre-CCT applicants: a statement from the Postgraduate Dean, clearly explaining the type and amount of clinical training to be carried out during the fellowship.
- Post-CCT applicants: a timetable of research and clinical activity.
- Brief CV (2 A4 sides including email address) of named staff (in addition to the applicant) for whom salary is requested.
- Supporting letters from collaborators.
- Quotes obtained for requested equipment.
- Valid copy of ethical approval if relevant.
Sections 2-7 must not exceed six A4 sides. The PDF file size must not exceed 20MB.
Please ensure Arial font size 12 is used. If this font size is not used, the application will be rejected prior to formal consideration.
The BHF is prepared to consider funding or part-funding Intermediate Clinical Research Fellowships that include research experience with an industry partner (for example, experience of experimental medicine). Please contact our office for advice if you are considering applying for a co-funded Intermediate Clinical Research Fellowship.
There are no closing dates.
Please submit the application when it is ready. Receipt will be acknowledged within 24 hours and we will advise you when you can expect the result. Candidates may be interviewed and a decision on this will be reached by the Fellowships Committee (four meetings a year) after it has considered external peer review reports.
Allow nine months from submission to decision.