In Renfrewshire, only a third of those aged 16-44 do at least 30 minutes of moderate physical activity five times per week.
Hearty Lives Renfrewshire is a £200,000 partnership with Paisley Heart Town that will be delivered through a local third sector organisation called Active Communities (Scotland) Ltd.
The project aims to address health inequalities in Renfrewshire by improving the physical and mental wellbeing of 11-18-year-olds in the area as they transition from school into further education or work.
The project will:
- Consult with young people, their families and partner agencies to design a programme that fully addresses their needs
- Launch a six to eight week course to be delivered in schools and community groups that will raise awareness of heart health and risk factors such as diet and level of physical activity
- Implement the Life Skills substance abuse prevention training programme in the two Linwood secondary schools, targeting 500 young people.
- Train a team of young people (Young Health Ambassadors) to deliver peer education programme using BHF training resources
- Work with partners and community clubs and groups to include health promotion activities as part of their regular activities
For more information contact Area Development Manager Richard Forsyth on [email protected].