Almost all fruit and vegetables count towards your 5 a day so it is easier than you think to include them in your diet.
Scroll down to view portions of fresh vegetables, or you can download a PDF of our fruit and vegetables portion guide.
How much is one portion of fresh vegetables?
- Three heaped tablespoons of root vegetables.
- Three heaped tablespoons of peas.
- Two heaped handfuls of salad.
- Three heaped tablespoons of sweet corn.
- One fist size sweet potato.
- Half an avocado (Remember that avocado pears are high in calories.)
Do potatoes count as one of my 5-a-day?
Potatoes, yams and plantain don’t count towards your 5-a-day.
Do beans and pulses count as one of my 5-a-day?
Only one portion of beans and pulses count as a one of your 5-a-day. One portion is three tablespoons.
Additional portions will be counted as part of your beans, pulses, fish eggs and other proteins food group.