By taking small steps, you can make changes today to prevent it from developing to becoming anything more serious tomorrow. BHF fund world class research to beat heart and circulatory diseases, but you can do your bit to protect yourself too.
- Consider pepper, herbs and spices on food instead of salt.
- Half a teaspoon less sugar.
- Change your latte for cappuccino.
- More fruit, more vegetables. Aim for at least 5 portions a day.
- Go to the park or the pool rather than the pub.
- If you drink stick within the recommended limits. That’s no more than 14 units a week for both men and women, including several days without alcohol.
We’re not talking gym weights or boot camps. Look for chances to move more every day. Every ten minutes of activity counts!
- Use the stairs instead of the escalators.
- Walk to the local shop rather than taking the car.
- Do some stretches when watching TV.
If your blood pressure is very high or these lifestyle changes do not reduce it enough, your doctor is likely to prescribe you medication to control it and to reduce your risk of having a heart attack or stroke.
Need some support?
That's what we're here for! Living with high blood pressure is a 12-part programme that has been created with the expertise of BHF senior cardiac nurses and dietitians.
Each week we'll focus on a different theme, guide you to helpful and trusted information, and suggest things you can do.
This programme aims to help you to:
- Understand your condition and how it’s treated.
- Understand the risks of high blood pressure and what you can do about it.
- Make healthy lifestyle choices – and stick to them.
- Get support when you need it.
Sign up now