This booklet describes some of the different medicines often prescribed for people with a heart condition, or used to control high blood pressure or high cholesterol levels. It explains why you may have been given a medicine, how it works, and some of the possible side effects.
Some of the medicines covered include:
- ACE inhibitors (angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors)
- Angiotensin-II antagonists
- ARNI (angiotensin-II receptor-neprilysin inhibitor)
- Antiarrhythmic medicines
- Anticoagulant medicines
- Antiplatelet medicines
- Calcium channel blockers
- Cholesterol-lowering medicines (lipid-lowering medicines)
- Other medicines for angina
This booklet is also available to download in large print.