10 tips for weight loss
Senior Dietitian Victoria Taylor gives her tips for successful, sustainable weight loss.
1. Losing weight steadily and gradually is the safest way, and the weight is much more likely to stay off than if you lose it quickly. Aim for a weight loss of no more than 1–2 pounds (0.5–1kg) a week.
2. Choose a healthy balance and a variety of foods. You don’t need to give up foods you enjoy – even chocolate, crisps and cakes can be included as occasional treats.
3. Be realistic about things you’ll find difficult, like eating less than others around you or cutting back on foods you enjoy. Plan ways of managing these difficulties to avoid slipping back into old habits.
4. Use a food diary to help identify eating patterns and what changes you need to make.
Read food labels and use them to guide your choices
5. Set yourself realistic goals that are SMART (specific, measurable, achievable, relevant and time-specific).
6. Read food labels and use them to guide your choices.
7. Choose lower-fat versions of dairy products, such as milk, yoghurt and varieties of cheese.
8. Choose diet or no-added-sugar drinks instead of sugary drinks.
9. Being more active increases the amount of calories you burn, which can help you lose weight.
10. Find a form of exercise you enjoy, so you’re more likely to make time in your routine for it.