What’s your heart age?
Four in five people over 30 have a heart age older than their chronological age, making them more likely to have a potentially fatal heart attack or stroke, according to a UK study of 575,000 people funded by the British Heart Foundation (BHF).
Heart Age Tool
To raise awareness of how individuals can improve their heart health, we launched the latest version of our Heart Age Tool which can motivate your staff to think about the risk factors of cardiovascular disease (CVD) before problems develop, and aims to empower individuals to minimise their risk.
Currently CVD causes more than a quarter of all deaths in the UK, nearly 160,000 people each year, and coronary heart disease is one of the UK’s biggest killers. Factors like high blood pressure and high cholesterol, as well as smoking, diet and a lack of exercise, can increase someone’s risk of developing CVD.
Workplace health checks
Providing employees with the opportunity to have a health check at work shows your commitment to their wellbeing and can be incredibly popular with staff. Health checks also provide an opportunity to identify early signs of some diseases, which could result in prolonged absence from work if left undetected.
It’s also a great way of providing staff with a chance to reflect on their overall health. Some people will be much more likely to sign up for a health check at work than to proactively participate in health check schemes at their GP surgery. For these groups a workplace check at work can be invaluable.
If you’re looking to run health checks in your workplace take a look at some of the options available and find out how to find a provider for your staff.
What to do next?
- Share the Heart Age Tool with your colleagues and empower them to make healthy lifestyle changes this year.
- Take a look at our Business case section to see if your organisation could benefit from cost savings as a result of improved health and wellbeing of staff.
- Book a Health and Wellbeing Day to further inform and empower staff to improve their physical and mental wellbeing.
- Find out more about workplace health checks and whether your staff would benefit from them.
- Challenge your staff to set a goal using the Let’s Do This Goal Setter – it’s free so there’s no excuse not to do it!
To get more ideas order our Health at Work toolkit or take a look at the prevention publications on the BHF website.