Before your coffee morning
- First things first – find a venue, this could be your own home or a village hall. If using a public venue, make sure to check on any licences you might need.
- Timing – depending on who you plan to invite to your fundraiser, think carefully about an event date so not to clash with any major sports or cultural events.
- Ideas – give lots of thought to how you can make the most of your fundraiser and raise as much as possible.
- Promotion – if you’re having a community coffee morning, contact your local newspaper and radio to advertise your event and share posters and leaflets around the area.
- Community support – as it’s for charity, maybe your local supermarket or bakery would donate some delicious treats or other goodies? It’s worth asking!
- You can also download a PDF version of our guidance
During your coffee morning
- Inspire – plan a moment to say a few words about heart disease and BHF’s work so people understand the difference their support makes. Alternatively, if you have the technology, you could play one of our videos. Make sure to have one of our collection boxes on display to encourage donations.
- Fundraising – include fun activities and competitions like ‘guess the weight of the cake’ or host a bake off and have guests vote for their favourite. Why not see if local businesses will donate some prizes?
- Food and drink – as you’re likely to be selling treats it is essential to label things for allergens. Head over to the Food Standards Agency for further advice.
- Social media – spread the word by setting up a Facebook event page and let us know how your fundraising activity is going with regular updates – remember to tag us so we can see what you’re up to and say thank you!
- Double your money – ask your team of helpers if they work for a company that offers matched giving and encourage them to apply if they do.
- Licences – check what licences will be required. For example, selling alcohol and playing music both require a license.
- More support – if you have any queries please call our supporter service centre on 0300 330 3322 or email us.
After your coffee morning
- Banking – count, record and send us the money you raise as soon as you can. It’s a good idea to share responsibility for this amongst more than one person and to prepare in advance by getting some money bags from the bank.
- Thanking – remember to follow up with guests, sponsors and volunteers to thank them and let them know how much was raised to help fund life-saving research.
Keeping it safe and legal
Kick-start your fundraising
Order or download your free fundraising pack for guidance, donation forms and inspiring fundraising materials. Every fundraiser helps power life saving research to beat heartbreak forever.
Get your fundraising pack
We're here to help you with your fundraising. If you have a question, call us on 0300 330 3322 between 9:00am and 5:00pm, Monday to Friday.