Before your golf day
- First things first - find a suitable venue. Asking your local club to host is key for a golf day.
- Timing – depending on who you plan to invite to your fundraiser, think carefully about an event date so not to clash with any major sports or cultural events.
- Ideas – give lots of thought to how you can make the most of your fundraiser and raise as much as possible. You could sell mulligans for donations and have local businesses sponsor prizes to entice participants.
- Promotion – contact your local newspaper, radio, golfing publications and websites to advertise your event and share posters and leaflets around the area.
- You can also download a PDF version of our guidance
During your golf day
- Inspire – plan a moment to say a few words about heart disease and BHF’s work so people understand the difference their support makes. Alternatively, if you have the technology, you could play one of our videos.
- Fundraising – raise more money by hosting an after dinner event which includes an auction or raffle, as well as awards for things such as golfer of the day, longest drive and best putt.
- Organise – create an event committee to help with planning your charity event, allocating job roles to match people’s expertise and interests. Areas to think about are logistics, catering, sponsorship and promotion.
- Ask – get in touch with businesses who may wish to get involved as part of a corporate hospitality day, or see if they are happy to sponsor a hole or even the whole day.
- Social media – spread the word by setting up a Facebook event page and let us know how your fundraising activity is going with regular updates – remember to tag us so we can see what you’re up to and say thank you!
- Double your money – ask your team of helpers if they work for a company that offers matched giving and encourage them to apply if they do.
- Licences – check what licences will be required. For example, selling alcohol and playing music both require a license.
- Resources – you can find more materials (e.g. posters) and information about us.
- More support – if you have any queries please call our supporter service centre on 0300 330 3322 or email us.
After your golf day
- Banking – count, record and bank the money you raise as soon as you can. It’s a good idea to share responsibility for this amongst more than one person and to prepare in advance by getting some money bags from the bank.
- Thanking – remember to follow up with guests, sponsors and volunteers to thank them and let them know how much was raised to help fund life-saving research.
Keeping it safe and legal
Kick-start your fundraising
Order or download your free fundraising pack for fundraising guidance, plus materials and goodies. Every fundraiser helps power life saving research to beat heartbreak forever.
Get your fundraising pack
We're here to help you with your fundraising. If you have a question, call our support team on 0300 330 3322 between 9:00am and 5:00pm, Monday to Friday.