These are the terms and conditions (“Terms and Conditions”) that apply to each fundraising event organised by or on behalf of the British Heart Foundation, a charity with its registered office at Greater London House, 180 Hampstead Road, London NW1 7AW (“BHF”) (each an “Event”). Participants must agree to the Terms and Conditions before participating in any Event.
1. Entry Forms and Fees
a. All persons taking part in the Event (each a “Participant”) must be registered with BHF to take part in the Event.
b. Each Participant must complete and submit an entry form (“Entry Form”) whether participating as an individual or in a team.
c. Team entries must include the names and addresses of all team members as part of the registration process.
d. BHF is not responsible for technical, hardware or software failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections or failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer or internet transmissions or other errors or malfunctions of any kind which may prevent receipt by BHF of an Entry Form.
e. All postal Entry Forms must arrive before the closing date for Event registration. Proof of postage must be obtained for postal entries and BHF accepts no responsibility for lost, damages, illegible, delayed or mislaid Entry Forms.
f. Entry to the Event is subject to the payment of the notified fee (and any applicable VAT) payable to BHF prior to participation in the Event (“Registration Fee”). On payment of the Registration Fee Participants may be given the opportunity to add an optional donation to BHF (“Registration Donation”).
2. Fundraising and Sponsorship
a. All fundraising activity undertaken as part of the Event must be for the benefit of BHF only and Participants agree that all funds raised as a result of their participation in the Event shall be raised using legal methods and in compliance with the advice given on the BHF website, www.bhf.org.uk (“Website”) and/or in the information relating to the Event provided to Participants (“Event Information”). Event Information may be provided in any form including but not limited to pre-event correspondence, guidance given on the day of the Event and information contained on the Website (which may be updated from time to time) or in the Event registration pack.
b. You may be asked to aim to raise the Minimum Sponsorship as part of your participation in the Event. If this is the case, we will make this clear in the relevant Event Information and specify the Minimum Sponsorship.
c. Sponsor forms are posted to participants and an online fundraising page can be set up using this link: Justgiving.com/bhf
d. All funds raised for BHF’s work shall be held on trust by each Participant for BHF and paid to BHF as soon as reasonably possible and in any case within 8 weeks after the date(s) on which the Event is scheduled to take place (“Event Date”).
3. Age of Participants
For safety reasons age restrictions are adopted for some Events and Participants who are under 18 (“Young Person”) may be required:
a. to get the prior consent of their parent or guardian to participate in the Event; and/or
b. to have an accompanying adult who is over the age of 18 on the date of the Event (“Accompanying Adult”).
Any age restrictions will be set out in the Event Information and/or on the Registration Form.
4. Accompanying Adults at Events
a. An Accompanying Adult must be registered to participate in the Event as must any Young Person they are accompanying.
b. Accompanying Adults shall take full responsibility for the Young Person(s) that they are accompanying and must stay with their Young Person(s) at all times during the Event.
c. Unless otherwise agreed in advance by BHF at its sole discretion, an Accompanying Adult may accompany no more than two Young People.
5. Health and Fitness
a. All Participants take part in the Event at their own risk.
b. BHF understands that heart patients are keen to support BHF and many are fit enough to take part in our Events, however, Participants who have any doubt about their health or have a medical condition that could be affected by exercise, particularly a heart condition, must obtain their doctor’s approval before participating in any Event.
c. BHF shall not be under any obligation whatsoever to process, analyse or otherwise take any action on any medical information disclosed to it either during or after the registration process for an Event.
d. All Participants agree that, as far as they are aware, they are sufficiently fit and physically able to compete in the Event and, to the extent that it may be necessary, they have sought and relied upon any medical advice before the date of the Event. It is each Participant’s own responsibility to assess their fitness and to ensure that they participate only if sufficiently fit. Should any medical or physical condition arise prior to the Event which is likely to affect a Participant’s ability to compete in the Event, the Participant should withdraw from the Event.
e. BHF may prevent any Participant from taking part in the Event (either at the start of or during the Event) if BHF or any medical representative considers that a Participant should not participate in the Event for health and/or medical reasons.
6. Safety and insurance
a. BHF shall take all reasonable steps to assess the safety and suitability of the Event location prior to the Event. BHF shall also arrange for the availability of an appropriate number of first aid and medical personnel according to the nature of the Event.
b. All Participants must ensure that any equipment or clothing used is in good condition and suitable for the Event.
c. All Participants acknowledge and agree that some Events can be considered dangerous activities, such as cycling on the highway or swimming in the sea. Whilst BHF shall take steps to ensure that all Events take place in a safe manner, Participants acknowledge and agree that because Events often take place in public spaces BHF cannot be held liable for any damage caused outside of its direct control.
d. BHF does not provide any insurance, whether life or medical or liability, for any illness, accident, injury, death, loss or damage that may arise in connection with the attendance at and/or participation in the Event. Participants shall be responsible for arranging their own suitable and adequate insurance protection to cover their participation in the Event, including without limitation cover:
- for material loss/damage to any equipment they may use in the Event or personal property (including clothing);
- any loss or damage they may cause to a third party;
- sickness; or
- negligence of any party.
e. Any accident or injury caused by a Participant’s actions shall be the responsibility of that Participant.
f. Each Participant is responsible for his/her actions whilst attending or participating in the Event. This includes at the Event start point, during the Event and at the completion point. BHF accepts no responsibility for the actions of a Participant nor the consequences of such actions.
7. Participation and Participant Numbers
a. For some Events, Participants will be allocated a time at which they can commence the Event. Each Participant agrees that this time cannot be changed unless BHF in its absolute discretion agrees to a change. Any permitted change will be made before or on the day of the Event and in accordance with the restrictions contained in the Event Information.
b. If Participants are each assigned a unique number for the Event (“Participant Numbers”), Participants must clearly display their Participant Number provided by BHF at all times during the Event. Failure to wear the correct Participant Number may result in a Participant bring disqualified from the Event.
c. BHF reserve the right to reject at any time any Entry Form which is believed to be fraudulent or to disqualify any Participant who is ineligible to participate in the Event (or if participation in the Event should have been refused for any reason whatsoever); or who is believed to have not complied with these Terms and Conditions. BHF shall not be liable in any way to a Participant who is disqualified or whose entry is rejected in accordance with this paragraph 7(c).
8. Cloakroom and baggage facilities
a. Participants may be offered facilities to store bags at Events. If a Participant chooses to use these facilities then it is acknowledged and agreed that:
- bags may be searched when they are handed in;
- all items are left at the owner’s risk and, unless directly attributable to their negligence, neither BHF nor its partners or subcontractors shall be liable for any items that are lost, stolen or damaged; and
- use of cloakroom and bag storage facilities is subject to availability and entirely at the discretion of BHF and/or its partners or subcontractors.
9. Cycle events including the London to Brighton Bike Ride
a. All Participants in Events involving cycling (“Cycle Event”) must:
- wear a cycle helmet at all times during the Cycle Event;
- ensure that their bicycles are in a roadworthy condition;
- observe the rules of the Highway Code;
- obey the Rules of the Road (a copy of which is included with the Participant Number sent to each Participant);
- ensure that the bicycle that they use during the Event complies in all respects with all relevant and applicable legislation including, if all or part of the Cycle Event takes place after dark, being fitted with fully functioning and adequate front and rear lights;
- not carry young children on their bike or carry children in a child seat, trailer or similar device; and
- unless the Event Information states otherwise, must ride a two wheeled non-powered cycle in the Event.
In respect of a Cycle Event, the BHF does permit the use of e-bikes. However, this is subject to the following conditions:
• the e-bike must be fitted with pedals that are capable of propelling it;
• the electric motor must not exceed 250 watts; and
• the electrical assistance must cut out when the e-bike reaches 15.5 mph.
b. Where a Cycle Event uses a bicycle drop off or return service offered by BHF under which bicycles are transported to the start or finish of the Cycle Event, the Participant acknowledges and agrees that their bicycle is transported entirely at the Participant’s risk and that neither BHF nor its contractors may be held liable for any accidental damage incurred during the transport or handling of any bicycle. Use of the bicycle drop off or return service will indicate acceptance of this exclusion of liability on the part of BHF and the carrier.
c. Each Participant acknowledges that in respect of the London to Brighton day ride:
- the Registration Fee and any Registration Donation is paid to London to Brighton Bike Ride Limited, a wholly owned trading subsidiary of BHF, and all Registration Donations (including Gift Aid, if applicable) are subsequently transferred from the trading subsidiary to BHF;
- Participants are asked to raise a suggested Minimum Sponsorship amount of £200;
- Participants must be at least 14 years of age on the Event Date;
- notwithstanding paragraph 7(a), Participants cannot change their allocated start time;
- the Registration Fee is non-transferable and non-refundable; and
- all Participants must complete the Event no later than 19:00 on the Event Date and must comply with all other cut-off times indicated along the Event route,
10. Swim events
All Participants in Events involving swimming (“Swim Event”):
a. must follow the health and safety instructions and guidelines given by BHF specifically for their Swim Event; and
b. always check in and out of the Swim Event with BHF and wear their hat and wristband at all times during the Swim Event.
a. Subject to paragraph 10(b), neither BHF nor its agents or contractors shall be liable for:
i. any injury or accident causing loss or damage to a Participant or any third party where this is sustained as a result of a Participant taking part in the Event; or
ii. any loss or damage sustained by a Participant as a result of: the cancellation of the Event by BHF for any reason; any changes made to the Event by BHF for safety or any other reasons; or any circumstances beyond the control of BHF.
b. Nothing in these Terms and Conditions shall limit or exclude BHF’s liability in respect of death or personal injury sustained as a direct result of:
- the negligence, breach of statutory duty or fraudulent misrepresentation of BHF, its agents or contractors; or
- a deliberate act or omission of BHF, its agents or contractors.
c. Subject to the terms of paragraph 12 below, BHF shall not be liable for any loss or damage sustained by a Participant as a result of: the cancellation of the Event by BHF for any reason; any changes made to the Event by BHF for safety reasons; or any circumstances beyond the control of BHF.
d. Nothing in these Terms and Conditions shall affect any statutory rights to which the Participant may be entitled as a consumer.
12. Withdrawal and refunds
a. Except in exceptional circumstances as determined by BHF or as permitted by these Terms and Conditions, all Registration Fees are non-refundable and may not be deferred toward a future Event.
b. A Participant may transfer their registration to another individual for that year’s Event at the sole discretion of BHF by contacting the BHF events team. Any unapproved assignment, transfer or sale of a Participant’s registration may result in delay and/or difficulty in the event of an emergency and such transfer, assignment or sale may result in disqualification of the Participant from the Event.
c. No refund shall be given under any circumstances for purchases of travel tickets, T-shirts, hoodies or other merchandise save in accordance with the terms and conditions of purchase for items bought directly from BHF or statutory consumer law,.
13. Cancellation and changes to the Event
a. In the event that BHF is forced to cancel the Event for any reason, BHF will notify each Participant as soon as possible.
b. If BHF gives notice under paragraph 13(a) to cancel an overseas Event:
- more than 7 days before the Event Date then any refund of the affected Participants’ associated travel and accommodation costs will be entirely at BHF’s own discretion, taking into account all circumstances surrounding the Event and its cancellation; or
- less than 7 days before the Event Date then each affected Participant will be entitled to claim a full refund of their associated travel and accommodation costs.
c. If BHF gives notice under paragraph 13(a) to cancel an Event in the UK then:
- affected Participants will not be entitled to a refund of their associated travel costs; and
- any refund of Participants’ associated accommodation costs will be entirely at BHF’s own discretion, taking into account all circumstances surrounding the Event and its cancellation.
d. If a Participant wishes to claim a refund of its Registration Fee for any cancelled Event or any associated travel and accommodation costs (in line with the restrictions set out above) then the Participant must:
- notify BHF of this in writing within 15 days of BHF sending notification of the Event cancellation; and
- provide BHF with reasonable evidence of payment of all their associated travel and/or accommodation costs for which a refund is being claimed.
e. BHF reserves the right to alter the Event Date, the start time or other details of the Event as required. If changes to the Event are made, BHF shall update the Event Information on the Website and notify all Participants affected as soon as reasonably practicable. No refund in full or part shall be made in respect of any change to the Event, subject to paragraph 12(c) below.
f. In the event of a change of the Event Date, Participants will have the right within 15 days of receiving notice of the change to:
- withdraw from the Event and request in writing a refund of their Registration Fee; or
- transfer their registration to another individual who agrees to be bound by these Terms and Conditions.
g. If BHF does not receive a written request from any Participant for a refund of their Registration Fee in accordance with paragraphs 12(d) or 12(f)(i) above, BHF will treat the Participant’s Registration Fee as a donation to the BHF.
14. Photos and Publicity
a. Photographs and films will be taken throughout each Event by BHF and/or its contractors and/or its agents. All Participants consent to all and any use in any current or future media by BHF and/or its group companies of any photographs, images and/or films in which they feature, and the parents or guardians of any Young Person give consent in respect of their child(ren).
b. All Participants and the parents or guardians of any Young Person acknowledge and agree that no payment will be made to any Participant for the use of any photographs, images or films in which they may feature.
15. Data Protection
a. Each Participant agrees that information provided to BHF in connection with Events is true and accurate in all respects and may be used by BHF in accordance with prevailing data protection legislation.
b. BHF will use the information provided by Participants to manage the Event and the Participant’s involvement in it. BHF will keep the Participant up to date with BHF activities or provide any other information in accordance with their stated preferences. Your personal information will only be used by us and any appointed third parties for purposes in connection with the event
c. Each Participant will agree to provide emergency contact information when registering for an Event, in addition to writing this information on their paper Participant Number where supplied.
d. BHF reserve the right to pass all information provided by a Participant to any first aid organisation or medical provider attending and assisting at an Event (“Medical Provider”) for safety purposes. This is to enable the Medical Provider to:
- administer first aid in the event that a Participant suffers illness or injury during the Event; and
- to contact the friends or relatives of a Participant, where necessary.
e. Each Participant authorises any Medical Provider to administer first aid treatment or any medical treatment to the Participant or to transport the Participant in the event of any illness, accident or injury suffered by the Participant in connection with his/her participation in the Event.
f. Each Participant agrees that any Medical Provider may provide BHF with:
- the names of any Participant that they treat during the Event together with details of the circumstances surrounding that treatment; and
- the name of any Participant who notifies the Medical Provider that they are withdrawing from an Event due to ill health or otherwise.
16. During the Event
a. All Participants must abide by all rules relating to the Event set out in the Event Information and any instructions given by BHF, their employees or agents before, during and after the Event. Failure to follow any such rules or instructions may result in BHF refusing to allow the Participant to continue in the Event. Participants must retire at once from the Event if ordered to do so for any reason by BHF, their employees or agents, any member of the Event’s official staff, medical staff or any government authority.
b. No illegal substances, performance enhancing substances or intoxicants of any kind are permitted to be brought to the Event venue or used by Participants either before or during participation in the Event. BHF reserve the right to refuse attendance at, or participation in, the Event by any Participant found to have consumed or to have in their possession any illegal substances, performance enhancing substances or intoxicants of any kind.
17. Completion Times
Certain BHF Events, and in particular BHF endurance Events, may require Participants to reach certain points in the Event by specific times or require the Event to be completed in its entirety by a set time. If a Participant does not manage to keep up with any stage or completion time, BHF reserves the right to refuse to allow the Participant to continue in the Event. If the Event has staging or completion times, these will be set out in the Event Information.
18. Acceptance of these Terms and Conditions
a. By registering to participate in the Event, a Participant agrees to be bound by these Terms and Conditions.
b. If any provisions in these Terms and Conditions, whether in full or in part, is held to be invalid or unenforceable, all other remaining provisions (in full or in part) shall continue to be valid and enforceable.
c. BHF may vary these Terms and Conditions from time to time and the up to date terms shall be available on the Website.
d. These Terms and Conditions and any dispute or claim that arises out of or in connection with them is governed by and construed in accordance with English law. The English courts have exclusive jurisdiction to settle any dispute or claim that may arise out of or in connection with these Terms and Conditions.