1. Break 2 of the sponge fingers into small pieces and drop into the base of 2 small serving dishes.
2. Mix together the coffee and brandy, if using, and spoon half the mixture over the sponge fingers.
3. Stir the custard into the fromage frais with the vanilla, if using, and spoon half the mixture over the coffee-soaked fingers.
4. Break the remaining sponge fingers over the top, drizzle with the coffee and finish with the remaining custard mixture.
5. Cover and chill overnight. To serve, finely grate the chocolate over the top and dust with the cocoa powder.
- “If you don’t want to use brandy, simply use extra coffee.”