1. Heat the oven to 150°C /130°C fan/gas mark 3. In a non-stick, oven-proof casserole dish, brown the pork shoulder all over. Remove and set aside. Add the onions to the pan and cook, stirring, for 3–4 minutes until beginning to soften.
2. Stir in the paprika, mustard and apple and mango juice. Return the pork and bring to the boil, then cover tightly and cook in the oven for 3 hours until very soft and tender.
3. Remove the pork to a board or baking sheet with a lip to catch the juices. Return the dish to the hob and stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to the boil and bubble to reduce by about half to thicken the juices.
4. Meanwhile, shred the cooked pork using two forks and remove any visible fat.
5. Return pork to the dish and serve hot with either wholegrain rice or wholemeal buns, with salad on the side.
- “The cooked pork will freeze. Cool and pack into a freezable container. Thaw overnight in the fridge then microwave to re-heat or stir over a low heat on the hob. Any variety of beans can be added to the pork: try kidney, cannellini or black-eye.”