Sometimes the number of pieces of fruit and veg can vary depending on the size, so use the amounts here as a guide.
Eating at least 80g of each portion is the best way to make sure you get enough, but remember that you can always eat more!
- One apple, orange, peach or nectarine
- One medium banana
- Half a grapefruit
- 14 cherries
- One slice of melon
- Two slices of mango
- Two kiwi fruit
- A handful of grapes
- Two clementines, satsumas or tangerines
- Half an avocado
- One large slice of pineapple
- Two medium plums
- One slice of papaya
- Five to six passion fruit
- 80g of pomegranate
- A handful of blackberries
- Two handfuls (four heaped teaspoons) of blueberries or raspberries.
- 80g of strawberries (about 7 or 8)
- Three whole dried apricots
- One heaped tablespoon of currants
- Two dried figs
- Two rings of dried pineapple
- One tablespoon of raisins or sultanas
- 80g apricots (between 3 and 6 halves)
- Three heaped tablespoons of fruit salad
- 80g or three heaped tablespoons of grapefruit
- 80g, preferably in juice, of tinned peaches (about two halves or between five and seven slices)
- Two rings or twelve chunks of pineapple, preferably in juice
- 80g of prunes (six or seven), preferably in juice
- 20 raspberries, preferably in juice
- Five spears of asparagus
- One third of an aubergine
- 80g of baby sweetcorn (about six or seven), one cob of sweetcorn or three heaped tablespoons of canned sweetcorn
- 80g of broccoli
- Eight brussel sprouts
- 80g cauliflower
- Two or three sticks of celery
- A two-inch piece of cucumber
- 80g of daikon radish
- Four heaped tablespoons of French beans (cooked)
- Half a kerela (bitter melon or bitter gourd)
- One leek (white portion only)
- Half a large courgette
- One cereal bowl of mixed lettuce leaves
- 14 button mushrooms
- 16 medium okra
- One medium onion
- One large parsnip
- Half a pepper
- One cereal bowl of fresh spinach (or two heaped tablespoons of cooked spinach)
- Three heaped tablespoons of diced and cooked swede
- One medium tomato or seven cherry tomatoes
- Three heaped tablespoons of carrots, fresh or canned.
Frozen and canned vegetables
- Two whole canned plum tomatoes
- Three tablespoons on mixed frozen vegetables.
- Three heaped tablespoons of butter beans, cannellini beans, black-eyed beans etc. Beans count as a maximum of one of your five a day, however much you eat)
- Three tablespoons of lentils (lentils count as a maximum of one of your five a day, however much you eat)
- Three heaped tablespoons of fresh, frozen or canned peas.
Smoothies and juices
- One medium glass of fruit juice (150ml). Fruit juice counts as one of your five a day however much your drink
- One medium glass of fruit smoothie.
Note: One smoothie can also count as 2 portions if: 1. it has at least 80g of one variety of whole fruit and/or vegetable and at least 150ml of a different variety of 100% fruit and/or vegetable juice, or: 2. is has at least 80g of one variety of whole fruit and/or vegetable and at least 80g of another variety of whole fruit and/or vegetable. Smoothies count as a maximum of two of your 5 a day, however much you drink.