7 tips for finding happiness
We all need to take time to look after ourselves. And if you're struggling with health problems, or caring for someone or a bereavement, it can be even more important. Here are our seven top tips for how to be happy in life, and for staying strong when times are difficult.
1. Eat a healthy, balanced diet and try to be active every day.
2. Make sure you get plenty of rest.
3. Take your medication following the instructions you have been given.
- Visit our Drug Cabinet section which explains all the common heart medications.
4. If you drink alcohol, follow your medical team’s advice and keep within recommended limits.
5. Spend time in the open air, getting close to nature.
6. Keep in touch with family and friends who can provide support and a listening ear, and can help you solve practical problems.
7. Ensure you take part in activities that you enjoy, or do something you’re good at to boost self-esteem.
Support from the BHF
The BHF offers a range of free publications, which you can download straight away or order by calling 0870 600 6566.
There are more than 300 BHF-affiliated groups in England and Wales.
Find out more about Heart Support Groups.
You can also call our Heart Matters Helpline on 0300 330 3300 or email [email protected].
For help with anxiety, visit the Anxiety UK website or call 08444 775 774. For help with depression, visit the Mind website or call 0300 123 3393.