We do this through targeting adults in eight neighbourhoods of Plymouth who are affected by the highest rates of coronary heart disease and deprivation.
Our key partner is Plymouth Community Healthcare. We continue to foster strong relationships with our communities, the voluntary sector and businesses.
- free heart health checks and lifestyle assessments to residents
- a free ten week exercise programme
- referral and signposting to relevant services, such as weight management and stop smoking services
- workplace support and heart health assessments
- accredited training for Community Heart Health Champions
- free educational talks for local groups and organisations and how BHF can help in your community
- a dedicated BHF Heart Health Practitioner.
First year success
- 576 heart health checks and lifestyle assessments carried out with residents
- 71 per cent of attendees pledged to make lifestyle changes
- 176 community events organised
- 11 community Heart Health Champions trained
- seven exercise programmes given
In just four weeks of attending I have already noticed a difference to my health and wellbeing.
Hearty Lives Plymouth participant
Hazel, aged 68 from Stoke, and Lisa, aged 28 from Keyham, are just two of the people benefiting from Hearty Lives Plymouth by attending the Integrated Community Exercise (ICE) programme.
Hazel said: “I suffered a heart attack 16 years ago and always try to stay physically active, so I was really pleased to find out about ICE. I think exercise is important in life and in just four weeks of attending I had already noticed a difference to my health and wellbeing.”
Lisa said: “I’ve tried a lot of ‘fad’ diets over the years, so to find out that this new project could help me was great news. I’m really enjoying ICE and have already lost 9lbs, which has made me feel a lot healthier and better.”
For more information about Hearty Lives Plymouth please contact Area Development Manager Suzy Taylor on [email protected].