To improve the heart health of people living in Cookstown and the surrounding area. Our Heart Health Educator is working with a range of local partners to set-up initiatives by:
- working to identify gaps in primary care services for heart patients and providing support and advice to primary care teams in Cookstown
- working in partnership with local companies to develop innovative projects and programmes to improve heart health
- working in partnership with the local community to increase awareness of coronary heart disease and reduce the risk of developing heart disease.
Hearty Lives Success so far
Since the launch of Hearty Lives Cookstown in Autumn 2009 we have been working hard to improve the heart health of people living in the Cookstown area. Our achievements so far include:
- working with the Vion factory in Cookstown to improve the health of their employees through smoking cessation services, mental health first aid training, nutrition advice and zumba classes
- working with key local groups to provide community activities in Pomeroy and Loup, and heart health programmes for people with learning disabilities
- holding a Flames: Lighting the Way programme for pupils from Cookstown High School and Holy Trinity College. 150 young people took part in activities aimed at developing leadership skills, supporting local people and improving heart health
- working closely with eight GP practices to identify priority local health needs. This has included health screening for men between 40 and 55, smokers and people who are unlikely to visit their doctor
Our screening work has shown that by working in partnership, individuals who are at particular risk of poor heart health can be identified and given appropriate support and information.
For more information about Hearty Lives Cookstown please contact Area Development Manager Stephanie Leckey on email@example.com.