To reduce heart disease related deaths among people with severe mental health problems living in Bolsover district through:
- auditing patient attendance to heart health appointments, eg NHS Health Checks
- identifying how we can support mental health service users to better access available services
- training primary care staff in mental health awareness
- training professionals who work with service users in the BHF Healthy Hearts Kit
- running events such as Art 4 Heart and healthy cooking courses to educate service users about their increased risk of heart disease and promoting healthier lifestyles
Sheila Platt, who has a professional background as a mental health nurse, was the full-time project coordinator working with mental health teams, GP practices, voluntary and local organisations in Bolsover. She worked with over 40 organisations in total. She said:
"We wanted to help address issues of inequality by helping residents with
mental health conditions access treatment for the prevention and care of
- the project launch was attended by 115 mental health service users, carers and staff. 96 per cent of participants said the event had increased their knowledge of heart disease and 80 per cent said they would either do more exercise or eat more fruit and veg
- At least 58 professionals have been trained using our Healthy Hearts Kit.
- 12 Health Care Assistants have been trained in mental health awareness
- Our Art 4 the Heart event was attended by 7 service users
- 50 people attended the unveiling of four professional pieces of heart artwork to celebrate World Heart Day and World Mental Health Day
- 27 per cent increase in uptake of health checks by mental health service users
- new British Heart Foundation resource on mental health and heart disease in production as a result of the project.
- acceptance to the NICE shared learning database with relation to treatment of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.
For more information about Hearty Lives Bolsover please contact Area Development Manager Jane Palmer on [email protected]