Heartstart links with the National Curriculum in Scotland
To support your Heartstart scheme, we've provided links to the National Curriculum.
- you promote Heartstart to schools
- teachers see how schoolchildren will benefit from the training.
Heartstart courses underpin four capacities of the Scottish Curriculum for excellence by enabling pupils to become:
- successful learners
- confident individuals
- responsible citizens
- effective contributors.
Learning life saving techniques links directly to the Health and Wellbeing aspect of the Scottish Curriculum.
Health and Wellbeing
Experiences and outcomes for 3 -18 year olds
Heartstart training supports pupils to develop the knowledge and understanding, skills, capabilities and attributes which they need for mental, emotional, social and physical wellbeing now and in the future.
Learning life saving skills helps pupils to:
- “Make informed decisions in order to improve their mental, emotional, social and physical wellbeing.”
- “Experience challenge and enjoyment.”
- “Experience positive aspects of healthy living and activity for themselves.”
- “Apply their mental, emotional, social and physical skills to pursue a healthy lifestyle.”
- “Establish a pattern of health and wellbeing which will be sustained into adult life, and which will help to promote the health and wellbeing of the next generation of Scottish children.”
- “I am learning to assess and manage risk, to protect myself and others, and to reduce the potential for harm when possible.” HWB 0-16a / HWB 1-16a / HWB 2-16a / HWB 3-16a / HWB 4-16a
- “I know and can demonstrate how to keep myself and others safe and how to respond in a range of emergency situations.” HWB 0-17a / HWB 1-17a / HWB 2-17a / HWB 3-17a / HWB 4-17a
- “I am developing my understanding of the human body and can use this knowledge to maintain and improve my wellbeing and health.” HWB 0-15a / HWB 1-15a / HWB 2-15a / HWB 3-15a / HWB 4-15a
Mental and emotional wellbeing
- “I understand that my feelings and reactions can change depending upon what is happening within and around me. This helps me to understand my own behaviour and the way others behave.” HWB 0-04a / HWB 1-04a / HWB 2-04a / HWB 3-04a / HWB 4-04a
- “Through contributing my views, time and talents, I play a part in bringing about positive change in my school and wider community.” HWB 0-13a / HWB 1-13a / HWB 2-13a / HWB 3-13a / HWB 4-13a