Well, what’s in it for me?
- Meeting new people and working as a team
- Developing new skills in a fun environment
- Building your confidence
- Gaining valuable experience – great to put on your CV
- Getting qualifications, such as an NVQ in Retail or Customer Service
- Work towards your Bronze, Silver or Gold Duke of Edinburgh Award
- Making the most of your spare time
- Being able to say you've helped save someone’s life.
Who can volunteer?
Depending on your circumstances, anyone over the age of 16 can volunteer with us.
How much time do I have to give?
This is up to you. What’s great about BHF volunteering is that there’s lots of choice. Some of our volunteers help out regularly, and others help once in a while.
What skills do I need?
This will depend on what you want to do. Most of the time enthusiasm and the ability to smile are the most important skills required. There are some more specialised roles that require particular skills, such as driving, and these are made clear when you apply.
Do you offer training?
Training needs depend on the volunteer role and their level of previous experience. We do offer NVQ training courses in both Retail and Customer Service within our shops. Speak to your local shop manager for details.
Will it cost me anything?
While we can't pay wages, volunteers should never have to spend money to work with us. We'll reimburse reasonable expenses agreed in advance, like bus fares.
So, what can I do?
There's loads of ways to get involved with the BHF, spreading the word about our work and helping us raise more funds for our research. You could:
- Volunteer in a BHF shop or warehouse – we need admin assistants, window dressers and everything in between
- Collect donations and distribute pin badges to raise funds for BHF research
- Work in our offices
- Help raise funds for our essential work in research, education, prevention and care
- Organise a fundraising event by getting together with family or friends
- Help out at BHF events.
Getting involved is easy
Just email [email protected] with your name, date of birth and contact details. You should also include what kind of volunteering you're interested in, but it doesn't matter if you're not sure.
We’re waiting for you!
Watch the video below to see all the different kinds of people that volunteer for the BHF.
Do you want to meet other young people like you?
Are you aged between 13 and 19 with a heart condition and living in the UK? You can join [email protected] absolutely free!
[email protected] is a great way to get help and support and meet other young heart patients at great events.
Find out more