We can claim back the tax you have paid on your donation (25p for every £1 you donate) through Gift Aid.
This additional income really does make a big difference, so please don't forget to Gift Aid donations if you are a UK tax payer.
If you are a higher-rate tax payer you can also claim additional tax relief. For higher rate tax payers (paying tax at 40%) this works out as 25p for every £1 you donate and for the highest rate tax payers (paying tax at 50%) this works out as 37.5p for every £1 you donate.
What we need to claim Gift Aid
- Your full name and home address
- A donation made from a personal bank or building society account
- We can't claim Gift Aid on donations from company accounts. The donation must be your own money and not the proceeds of a collection.
- For you to be paying income tax or capital gains tax which at least equals the amount the BHF will claim in the appropriate tax year (6 April one year to 5 April the next). This is currently 25p for every £1 you give.
- Using the declaration form, we can claim Gift Aid on all your donations in the last 4 years and all future donations.
- Once you have become a Gift Aid donor, please let us know if you stop paying tax or if you change your name/address so that we can update our records.
If you are a UK tax payer, we can increase the value of your donated goods. Simply complete our Gift Aid form in one of our shops.
By signing up to Gift Aid for your donated goods, you will confirm that:
- You wish BHF Shops Ltd to act as your agent in selling the goods you have donated and agree to a commission of 1% for this service. Any items not sold will be disposed of and cannot be returned.
- You are a UK tax payer and you wish the BHF to reclaim the tax on all donations you have made in the last 4 years and any future donations you may make. (To qualify for Gift Aid you have to pay income and/or capital gains tax which is at least equal to the amount of tax we will reclaim in the appropriate tax year.)
- You are not acting as a business in selling your goods.
- Once you've signed up to Gift Aid your donated goods, we'll give you a Gift Aid Donor Card with your unique donor number. If you bring your card with you every time you donate to our shops, we can make your donations go further.
When your items are sold, we'll let you know how much you've helped us raise and confirm that you're happy for us to treat the money as a Gift Aid donation. Then we can increase the value of your donated items, at no extra cost to you.
If you have any questions about Gift Aid, please get in touch on 0844 847 2787.