- Usually three to six years successful post-doctoral research, with CCT.
- Likely to have held a Clinical Lectureship or Intermediate Fellowship.
- Residency requirements do not apply.
- Senior Clinical Research Fellows are eligible to apply for accelerated UK Tier 1 Visas. Click here for more information.
- Five years, with the possibility of competitive renewal for up to 5 years. On renewal it will be expected that the host institution will provide at least 50% of the fellow’s salary.
- Within the first five years, part of the award may be spent overseas subject to a justified case being made.
- The fellowship may be taken up on a part-time employment basis, where appropriate, following discussion and agreement with us and the employing institution. For more information, read about our Flexible working policies.
Award may include
- Salary of applicant.
- Salary of technician or research assistant if required and fully justified.
- Research consumables directly attributable to the project. Consumables will not normally be provided overseas; facilities should be provided by the host department.
- Research equipment essential for the project. Equipment will not be provided overseas; facilities must be provided by the host department.
For overseas visits of up to six months:
- Economy class travel expenses for the fellow only.
- A justified subsistence allowance.
For overseas visits of more than six months:
- One return economy fare for the fellow and immediate family.
- A reasonable contribution to healthcare insurance (e.g. applicable to USA).
- Housing contribution up to £3,000.
How to apply
- Read the information in How to apply.
- If you are applying for funding for a clinical study, read:
- Log onto the online application form.
- Complete all the sections of the online application form following the instructions in the GMS User Guide.
- The online application form must be completed by the applicant.
- Short-listed candidates will usually be interviewed.
You will be asked to attach a single PDF document to your online application form containing the following information:
- For resubmissions, include an unedited copy of the original feedback followed by a detailed response, limited to 3 sides of A4, explaining how the revised application has changed from the original submission.
- Abstract of the proposed investigation in 200 words or less.
- Background to the project and pilot data.
- Original hypothesis.
- Experimental details and design of proposed investigation.
- If requesting funding for a clinical study, include all information listed in the Clinical Study Guidelines (Interventional Study) or in the Clinical Study Guidelines (Observational Study). If you do not provide the information outlined in the guidelines, your application may be returned without formal consideration.
- Power calculations.
- Expected value of results.
- List of references relevant to the proposed project.
- The contribution to be made by each co-applicant and collaborator (maximum of one A4 side).
- Full CV of the applicant, including list of publications, statement of career intentions and email address.
- Appendices should be a maximum of 3 sides of A4 containing only tables or figures essential to the understanding of the application. Research papers whether published, in press or in preparation may not be attached (although hyperlinks can be provided).
- A work plan defining research and clinical PAs.
- Letter of support from the Head of Department.
- If a senior investigator has been named as a supervisor, a letter of support should be included.
- If an overseas visit is proposed, include a letter of support from a senior investigator who will provide access to space, resources and scientific guidance for the duration of the stay. Please also ensure that the purpose of the visit is explained clearly, in terms of the duration, the research to be carried out and any training that will be acquired.
- Brief CV (2 A4 sides including email address) of named staff (in addition to the applicant) for whom salary is requested.
- Supporting letters from collaborators.
- Quotes obtained for requested equipment.
- Valid copy of ethical approval if relevant.
Sections 2-7 must not exceed six A4 sides. The PDF file size must not exceed 20MB.
Please ensure Arial font size 12 is used. If this font size is not used, the application will be rejected prior to formal consideration.
The BHF is prepared to consider funding or part-funding Senior Clinical Research Fellowships that include research experience with an industry partner (for example, experience of experimental medicine). Please contact our office for advice if you are considering applying for a co-funded Senior Clinical Research Fellowship.
There are no closing dates.
Please submit the application when it is ready. Receipt will be acknowledged within 24 hours and we will advise you when you can expect the result. Short-listed candidates will usually be interviewed and a decision on this will be reached by the Fellowships Committee (four meetings a year) after it has considered external peer review reports.
Allow nine months from submission to decision.