- The BHF will be moving to a new research Grants Management System in January 2020.
- We will no longer be accepting applications through the current GMS for MBPhD Studentships after the 31st of October 2019.
- If you have started an application but are unable to submit it by the deadline, please save a copy of the PDF for future use.
- Pre-selection of the student by the university’s MBPhD programme directorate.
- Two to three years, according to the university’s scheme.
Award may include
- Student stipend at current BHF rates.
- Tuition fees at standard home student rate (set by the research institution).
- Research consumables directly attributable to the project, usually less than £10,000 per year.
How to apply
Who can apply?
- The online application form must be completed by an established investigator who will be the supervisor and may be for a named student only.
- The primary supervisor must devote a minimum of 10% of their time to supervising the student and a second supervisor should also be included.
You will be asked to attach a single PDF document to your online application form containing the following information:
- For resubmissions, include an unedited copy of the original feedback followed by a detailed response, limited to 3 sides of A4, explaining how the revised application has changed from the original submission.
- Abstract of the proposed investigation in 200 words or less.
- Background to the project and pilot data.
- Original hypothesis.
- Experimental details and design of proposed investigation.
- Power calculations.
- Expected value of results.
- List of references relevant to the proposed project.
- The contribution to be made by each co-applicant and collaborator (maximum of one A4 side).
- List of recent relevant publications from supervisor.
- Appendices should be a maximum of 3 sides of A4 containing only tables or figures essential to the understanding of the application. Research papers whether published, in press or in preparation may not be attached (although hyperlinks can be provided).
- Full CV of the candidate, including list of publications, statement of career intentions and academic email address.
- Letter of support from the faculty tutor of clinical sciences.
- Copy of university scheme rules.
- Supporting letters from collaborators.
- Valid copy of ethical approval if relevant.
Sections 2-7 must not exceed six A4 sides. The PDF file size must not exceed 20MB.
Please ensure Arial font size 12 is used. If this font size is not used, the application will be rejected prior to formal consideration.
There are no closing dates.
Please submit the application when it is ready. Receipt will be acknowledged within 24 hours and we will advise you when you can expect the result. A decision will be reached by the Fellowships Committee (four meetings a year) after it has considered external peer review reports.
Allow six months from submission to decision.