The BHF is moving to a new research Grants Management System. We are not currently accepting applications for Career Re-entry Research Fellowships. Applications will re-open on our new Flexi-Grant® GMS in January 2020. A sample copy of the new application form can be downloaded here.
- Successful post-doc returning after a career break of one or more years.
- Four years duration with the possibility of a one year extension (more information about applying for an extension to a fellowship can be found here).
- The candidate must have the support of a named senior investigator who will guarantee access to space and resources and provide scientific guidance for the duration of their fellowship. This individual should be named on the application form as a 'Supervisor' and provide an appropriate letter of support as part of the application.
- The fellowship may be taken up on a part-time employment basis, where appropriate, following discussion and agreement with us and the employing institution. For more information read about our Flexible working policies.
Award may include
- Salary of applicant.
- Salary of technician or research assistant if required and fully justified.
- Research consumables directly attributable to the project.
- Research equipment essential for the project.
How to apply
You will be asked to attach a single PDF document to your online application form containing the following information:
- For resubmissions, include an unedited copy of the original feedback followed by a detailed response, limited to 3 sides of A4, explaining how the revised application has changed from the original submission.
- Abstract of the proposed investigation in 200 words or less.
- Background to the project and pilot data.
- Original hypothesis.
- Experimental details and design of proposed investigation.
- Power calculations.
- Expected value of results.
- List of references relevant to the proposed project.
- The contribution to be made by each co-applicant and collaborator (maximum of one A4 side).
- Full CV of the applicant, including list of publications, statement of career intentions and email address.
- Appendices should be a maximum of 3 sides of A4 containing only tables or figures essential to the understanding of the application. Research papers whether published, in press or in preparation may not be attached (although hyperlinks can be provided).
- Letter of support from senior investigator named as supervisor.
- Letter of support from the Head of Department.
- Brief CV (two A4 sides including email address) of named staff (in addition to the applicant) for whom salary is requested.
- Supporting letters from collaborators.
- Quotes obtained for requested equipment.
- Valid copy of ethical approval if relevant.
Sections 2-7 must not exceed 6 A4 sides. The PDF file size must not exceed 20MB.
Please ensure Arial font size 12 is used. If this font size is not used, the application will be rejected prior to formal consideration.
There are no closing dates.
Please submit the application when it is ready. Receipt will be acknowledged within 24 hours and we will advise you when you can expect the result. Candidates may be interviewed and a decision on this will be reached by the Fellowships Committee (four meetings a year) after it has considered external peer review reports.
Allow nine months from submission to decision.