The BHF is moving to a new research Grants Management System. We are not currently accepting applications for Career Development Research Fellowships. Applications will re-open on our new Flexi-Grant® GMS in January 2020. A sample copy of the new application form can be downloaded here.
- The applicant will normally be a member of one of the following groups of healthcare professionals, who is working in a cardiovascular setting:
- Allied Health Professionals
- Healthcare Scientists
- The applicant will hold a PhD or equivalent taught Practitioner/Professional Doctorate.
- The research proposed should usually be related to the improvement of care and outcomes for people with cardiovascular disease. More fundamental/basic science research may be better supported through our other funding schemes. If you have any queries about the suitability of your research for this scheme, please contact us in advance of submitting an application.
- Three years duration, with the possibility of a two year extension.
- The candidate must have the support of a named senior investigator who will guarantee access to space and resources and provide scientific guidance for the duration of their fellowship. This individual should be named on the application form as a 'Supervisor' and provide an appropriate letter of support as part of the application.
- The fellowship may be taken up on a part-time employment basis, where appropriate, following discussion and agreement with us and the employing institution. For more information, read about our Flexible working policies.
- If the fellowship is taken up on a full-time basis, we recognise that part of the time (ideally no more than 20% though sometimes more if it can be argued that the research directly involves their patients) may be spent on patient care.
Award may include
- Salary of applicant.
- Salary for technician or research assistant if required and fully justified.
- Research consumables, directly attributable to the project.
- Research equipment essential for the project.
How to apply
You will be asked to attach a single PDF document to your online application form containing the following information:
- For resubmissions, include an unedited copy of the original feedback followed by a detailed response, limited to 3 sides of A4, explaining how the revised application has changed from the original submission.
- Abstract of the proposed investigation in 200 words or less.
- Background to the project and pilot data.
- Original hypothesis.
- Experimental details and design of proposed investigation.
- If requesting funding for a clinical study, include all information listed in the Clinical Study Guidelines (Interventional Study) or in the Clinical Study Guidelines (Observational Study). If you do not provide the information outlined in the guidelines, your application may be returned without formal consideration.
- Power calculations.
- Expected value of results.
- List of references relevant to the proposed project.
- The contribution to be made by each co-applicant and collaborator (maximum of one A4 side).
- Full CV of the applicant, including list of publications, statement of career intentions and email address.
- Appendices should be a maximum of 3 sides of A4 containing only tables or figures essential to the understanding of the application. Research papers whether published, in press or in preparation may not be attached (although hyperlinks can be provided).
- Letter of support from the Head of Department.
- Letter of support from senior investigator named as supervisor.
- A statement from the Director of Nursing, AHP lead or equivalent, clearly explaining the type and extent of cardiovascular care (i.e. non-research time) to be undertaken during the Fellowship. If the Fellowship is to be taken up on a full time basis (i.e. a full salary is being requested from the BHF for the Fellow), then this is expected to not normally be more than 20% of the Fellow’s time. If the Fellowship is taken up on a part time basis, non-research time may be up to 50% overall (i.e. at least 50% of the Fellow's time must be spent on the fellowship). See our Flexible working policies for more information.
- Brief CV (2 A4 sides including email address) of named staff (in addition to the applicant) for whom salary is requested.
- Supporting letters from collaborators.
- Quotes obtained for requested equipment.
- Valid copy of ethical approval if relevant.
- Completed Plain English Summary and Patient & Public Involvement forms where relevant.
Sections 2-8 must not exceed 6 sides of A4. The PDF file size must not exceed 20MB.
Please ensure Arial font size 12 is used. If this font size is not used, the application will be rejected prior to formal consideration.
The BHF is prepared to consider funding or part-funding Career Development Research Fellowships that include research experience with an industry partner (for example, experience of experimental medicine). Please contact our office for advice if you are considering applying for a co-funded Career Development Research Fellowships.
There will be two calls for this scheme per year - the next call will open in early January 2020 with a closing date for applications during April 2020.
Receipt will be acknowledged within 24 hours and we will advise you when you can expect the result. Candidates may be interviewed and a decision on this will be reached by the Fellowships Committee after it has considered external peer review reports. Allow six months from submission to decision.