We campaign to help improve the facilities, support and opportunities available to scientists and doctors who want to contribute to heart research in the UK.
Some of the research projects we fund involve animals, while other projects require stem cells from human or animal embryos. This only occurs where no alternative is feasible, and our scientists are required to follow strict guidelines and regulations.
Our polices for medical research
- Animal research – we make sure that all BHF-funded scientists are following a clear set of principles - the three Rs - to reduce the number of animals used and maximise their welfare.
- Stem cell research – we support essential research using stem cells because we believe they have the potential to cure conditions that are incurable today.
- Funding for medical research – UK governments provide support to help us make the most of our investment, but we believe this needs strengthening.
- Patient data – we think more needs to be done to make it easier to use data from our medical records to provide benefits to patients.
- Sharing the results of our research – as the largest independent funder of cardiovascular research in the UK, it's vital that we share the results of our life-saving work.