To enable an experienced researcher to
undertake a visit to a distinguished laboratory abroad, either for
a short period of up to six months to acquire specialist knowledge
or expertise, or for a longer period to carry out a research
project that can not be done in the UK.
- Usually more than 3 years
- Applicant must hold a post in the UK
and a guaranteed post to return to after the fellowship
- Residency requirements apply –
- 1 month to 1 year, with the possibility of an
extension of up to 1 year.
Award may include
For visits of up to 6 months:
- economy class travel expenses for the fellow only
- a justified subsistence allowance.
For visits of more than 6 months:
- the fellowship will reimburse the university a replacement
salary for a tenured member of staff, or pay the salary of a
- one return economy fare for the fellow and immediate
- a reasonable contribution to healthcare insurance (e.g.
applicable to USA)
- research expenses will not be awarded; facilities must be
provided by the host department.
How to apply
- Read the information in How
- Log onto the online application
- Complete all the sections of the online application form
following the instructions in the GMS User
- Ensure the named Supervisor in the application form is your UK
You will be asked to attach a single PDF document to your on
line application form containing the following information:
- For resubmissions, include previous feedback
and provide a detailed response explaining how the revised
application has changed from the original submission.
Abstract of the proposed investigation in less than 150
- Background to the project and pilot
- Original hypothesis.
- Experimental details and design of proposed
- Expected value of results.
- List of references relevant to the proposed
- Full list of applicant's publications.
- Additional pages for appendices (e.g. charts,
graphs, photos); must be kept to a minimum and should be submitted
only if essential to the understanding of the
- Details of the purpose of the visit, place(s)
to be visited and what the applicant hopes to gain as a result of
- Letter of acceptance by the host
- Letter of support from the Head of Department in the UK.
- Brief CV (2 A4 sides including email address) of named
replacement staff (for visits of more than 6 months).
- Supporting letters from
- Valid copy of ethical approval if
Sections 2-7 must not exceed 6 A4 sides. The PDF file
size must not exceed 20MB.
Please ensure Arial font size 12 is used. If this
font size is not used, the application will be rejected prior to
There are no closing dates.
Please submit the application when it is ready.
Receipt will be acknowledged within 24 hours and we will advise you
when you can expect the result. Candidates may be interviewed and a
decision on this will be reached by the Fellowships Committee (4 meetings a year) after
it has considered external peer review reports.
Allow 9 months from submission to decision.