Senior Clinical Research Fellowship
To provide a career opportunity in an
established research institution in the UK for outstanding
individuals who are expected to reach Readership or Chair level
within 10 years.
- Usually 3-6 years successful
post-doc, with CCT. Likely to have held a Clinical Lectureship or
- Residency requirements apply –
- 5 years, with the possibility of competitive renewal for up to
5 years. On renewal it will be expected that the host institution
will provide at least 50% of the fellow’s salary.
- Within the first 5 years, up to 1 year of the award may be
spent overseas subject to a justified case being made.
- The fellowship may be taken up on a part-time employment basis,
where appropriate, following discussion and agreement with us and
the employing institution.
Award may include
- Salary of applicant.
- Salary of technician or research assistant if required and
- Research consumables, directly attributable to the project.
Consumables will not be provided overseas; facilities must be
provided by the host department.
- Research equipment essential for the project. Equipment will
not be provided overseas; facilities must be provided by the host
For overseas visits of up to 6 months:
- Economy class travel expenses for the fellow only.
- A justified subsistence allowance.
For overseas visits of more than 6 months:
- One return economy fare for the fellow and immediate
- A reasonable contribution to healthcare insurance (e.g.
applicable to USA).
How to apply
- Read the information in How
- If you are applying for funding for a clinical study, read:
- Log onto the online application
- Complete all the sections of the online application form
following the instructions in the GMS User
- The online application form must be completed by the
- Short-listed candidates will usually be
You will be asked to attach a single PDF document to your online
application form containing the following information:
- For resubmissions, include previous feedback
and provide a detailed response explaining how the revised
application has changed from the original submission.bstract of the
proposed investigation in less than 150 words.
Abstract of the proposed investigation in less than 150
- Background to the project and pilot
- Original hypothesis.
- Experimental details and design of proposed
- Expected value of results.
- List of references relevant to the proposed
- Full list of applicant's publications.
- Additional pages for appendices (e.g. charts,
graphs, photos); must be kept to a minimum and should be submitted
only if essential to the understanding of the
- A work plan defining research and clinical PAs.
- Letter of support from the Head of
- Brief CV (2 A4 sides including email address)
of named staff (in addition to the applicant) for whom salary is
- Supporting letters from
- Quotes obtained for requested equipment.
- Valid copy of ethical approval if
Sections 2-7 must not exceed 6 A4
sides. The PDF file size must not exceed 20MB.
Please ensure Arial font size 12 is used. If this
font size is not used, the application will be rejected prior to
There are no closing dates.
Please submit the application when it is ready. Receipt will be
acknowledged within 24 hours and we will advise you when you
can expect the result. Short-listed candidates will usually be
interviewed and a decision on this will be reached by the Fellowships Committee (4 meetings a year)
after it has considered external peer review reports.
Allow 9 months from submission to decision.