Senior Basic Science Research Fellowship
To provide a career opportunity in an
established research institution in the UK for outstanding
individuals who are expected to reach Readership or Chair level
within 5 years.
- Usually 6-10 years successful
postdoctoral work with an established track record of research
leadership; often a previous holder of an Intermediate
- Residency requirements apply –
- 5 years with the possibility of competitive renewal for further
5 year periods thereafter. On renewal it will be expected that the
host institution will provide at least 50% of the fellows’
- Within the first 5 years, up to 1 year of the award may be
spent overseas subject to a justified case being made.
- The fellowship may be taken up on a part-time employment basis,
where appropriate, following discussion and agreement with us and
the employing institution.
Award may include
- Salary of applicant.
- Salary of technician or research assistant if required and
- Research consumables directly attributable to the project.
Consumables will not be provided overseas; facilities must be
provided by the host department.
- Research equipment essential for the project. Equipment will
not be provided overseas; facilities must be provided by the host
For overseas visits of up to 6 months:
- Economy class travel expenses for the fellow only.
- A justified subsistence allowance.
For overseas visits of more than 6 months:
- One return fare for the fellow and immediate family.
- A reasonable contribution to healthcare insurance (e.g.
applicable to USA).
How to apply
- Read the information in How
- Log onto the online application
- The applicant must complete all the sections of the on line
application form following the instructions in the GMS User Guide.
- Short-listed candidates will usually be interviewed.
You will be asked to attach a single PDF document to your on
line application form containing the following information:
- For resubmissions, include previous feedback
and provide a detailed response explaining how the revised
application has changed from the original submission.
Abstract of the proposed investigation in less than 150
- Background to the project and pilot
- Original hypothesis.
- Experimental details and design of proposed
- Expected value of results.
- List of references relevant to the proposed
- Full list of applicant's
- Additional pages for appendices (e.g. charts,
graphs, photos); must be kept to a minimum and should be submitted
only if essential to the understanding of the
- Letter of support from the Head of
- Brief CV (2 A4 sides including email address)
of named staff (in addition to the applicant) for whom salary is
- Supporting letters from
- Quotes obtained for requested
- Valid copy of ethical approval if relevant.
Sections 2-7 must not exceed 6 A4
sides. The PDF file size must not exceed
Please ensure Arial font size 12 is used. If this
font size is not used, the application will be rejected prior to