Immediate Postdoctoral Basic Science Research
To provide an opportunity
for the most promising newly qualified postdoctoral researchers to
make an early start in developing their independent cardiovascular
research careers in an established institution in the
- Candidates should be in the final year of their PhD
studies or have no more than one year of postdoctoral research
experience from the date of the PhD viva.
- Candidates must be able to show, by publications or
otherwise, evidence of exceptional research ability.
- The fellowship should not be held in the institution
where the PhD was carried out unless exceptional
circumstances apply - contact us for advice.
- Residency requirements apply - check eligibility.
- 3 years with the possibility of a 1 year extension if a
strong case can be made (e.g. that this will lead to a competitive
application for a more senior personal award).
- We strongly encourage that up to 1.5 years of the award
are spent overseas or in a second UK institution.
- A supervisor is required in each laboratory, who must be
able to guarantee the candidate access to space and resources for
the required period and provide relevant scientific
Award may include
- Salary of applicant.
- Reasonable research consumables and small items of
equipment directly attributable to the project. Consumables
and equipment will not be provided overseas; facilities must be
provided by the host department.
For overseas visits of up to 6 months:
- Economy class travel expenses for the fellow only.
- A justified subsistence allowance.
For overseas visits of more than 6 months:
- One return economy fare for the fellow and
- A reasonable contribution to healthcare insurance (e.g.
applicable to USA).
How to apply
Who can apply?
The online application form must be completed by the
You will be asked to attach a single PDF document to your
online application form containing the following information:
Abstract of the proposed investigation in less than 150
- Background to the project and pilot data.
- Original hypothesis.
- Experimental details and design of proposed investigation.
- Expected value of results.
- List of references relevant to the proposed project.
- Full list of applicant's publications.
- Additional pages for appendices (e.g. charts, graphs, photos);
must be kept to a minimum and should be submitted only if essential
to the understanding of the application.
- Letter of support from PhD supervisor.
- Letters of support from proposed fellowship supervisors.
- Letter of support from Head of Department where fellowship will
- Brief CVs of the supervisors (2 A4 sides max each).
- Supporting letters from collaborators.
- Valid copy of ethical approval if relevant.
Sections 2-7 must not exceed 6 A4
sides. The PDF file size must not exceed 20MB.
Please ensure Arial font size 12 is used. If
this font size is not used, the application will be rejected prior
to formal consideration.
There are no closing dates.
Please submit the application when it is ready. Receipt will be
acknowledged within 24 hours and we will advise you when you can
expect the result. A decision will be reached by the Fellowships Committee (4 meetings a year) after
it has considered external peer review reports.
Short-listed candidates will usually be interviewed.
Allow 9 months from submission to decision.
Resubmissions are not allowed.