We award professorships to individuals
with outstanding cardiovascular research leadership
Our professors are appointed in
partnership with universities that can demonstrate a strong
commitment to cardiovascular research.
The professors are expected to bring research
leadership at an internationally competitive level and a commitment
to training future cardiovascular scientists.
Additional important considerations are how
the candidate supports and enhances the overall cardiovascular
research strategy of the university; and the added value to the BHF
of making the award.
We will consider applications that include the
professor’s salary from individuals who have not yet attained
secure funding from HEFC (any one of the four UK higher education
funding councils). We will provide a professorial salary for a
maximum of ten years.
We will also consider applications, excluding
the professor’s salary, from outstanding individuals with
established HEFC funding. Only under exceptional circumstances will
we consider providing a salary for a candidate with established
This addition to the scheme was created
primarily to allow current BHF Professors to hold their title and
associated benefits (subject to satisfactory review) after 10
years, when the university will be expected to take over their
However, we will consider awards of personal
chairs to a small number of HEFC-funded professors who have
demonstrated outstanding strategic leadership in cardiovascular
research within their own institutions and the broader UK
cardiovascular community and would bring added distinction to the
- Senior research leader in
clinical or basic cardiovascular science with an established
- Substantial output of high
impact research papers.
- Long-term track record of
attracting significant peer-reviewed research grant income as
- Normally aged under 55 at
time of appointment.
- Current holder of a BHF
programme grant (or equivalent ongoing long-term support for
cardiovascular research): if not, a programme grant
application must accompany the chair application.
- Award renewal is subject to satisfactory
review, usually with a site visit, every five years.
- At site visits, the level of annual core
support will be assessed, and may be increased or decreased.
- On renewal, funds to purchase new equipment
may be awarded if justified.
- Award renewal after ten years requires an
undertaking that the university will continue to pay the
Award may include
- Personal salary of the professor, if not already paid by HEFC,
for up to ten years.
- Start-up funds, if not already in an established
- Annual core support.
Personal salary level
- For non-clinicians, we will pay up to the standard maximum
level on the non-clinical professorial scale: for clinicians,
normally ten PAs on the consultant scale.
- The university may supplement the professor’s salary at its own
Start Up Funds
For newly established professors, or professors moving to a new
institution, start-up funds for major items of equipment up to a
maximum of £200,000 can be awarded if justified. In exceptional
cases we may be prepared to consider an additional Infrastructure
Grant to facilitate establishment of the chair.
Annual core support
- The professor will receive additional support for salaries, up
to a maximum of £80,000 per year if justified, for defined
additional research or administrative posts that directly assist
the professor’s research.
- For professors whose salary is paid by HEFC, and who have a
significant university administrative or teaching responsibilities,
additional funding can be requested if fully justified to support
salaries of staff employed to relieve the professor from these
- The professor will receive a discretionary fund of £20,000 a
year towards expenses in pursuit of his research objectives.
How to apply and what to submit
- An outline case should first be made by the
Head of School/Faculty to the BHF Medical Director - email address
- The outline should include:
- the full CV of the proposed professor,
- a summary of research plans and support
requested for the first five years,
- the university’s strategy for cardiovascular
- how this appointment will strengthen the
- The university will be informed if our
Chairs & Programme Grants committee recommends a full
application. As noted above, this must be accompanied by a
programme grant application if the candidate does not currently
hold an equivalent award. We will provide the guidelines and forms
There are no closing
Please allow six months
from submission to decision.