To allow talented medical students
to complete a PhD in cardiovascular science before completion of
their medical degree; restricted to UK institutions that have
recognised MBPhD programmes.
- Pre-selection of the student by the
university’s MBPhD programme directorate.
- Residency requirements apply –
- 2 - 3 years, according to the university’s scheme.
Award may include
- Student stipend at current BHF rates.
- Tuition fees at standard home student rate (set by the research
- Research consumables, directly attributable to the project,
usually less than £10,000 per year.
How to apply
Who can apply?
- The online application form must be completed by an established
investigator who will be the supervisor and may be for a named
- The primary supervisor must devote a minimum of 10% of their
time to supervising the student and a second supervisor should also
You will be asked to attach a single PDF document to your online
application form containing the following information:
- For resubmissions, include previous feedback and provide a
detailed response explaining how the revised application has
changed from the original submission.
Abstract of the proposed investigation in less than 150
- Background to the project and pilot data.
- Original hypothesis.
- Experimental details and design of proposed investigation.
- Expected value of results.
- List of references relevant to the proposed project.
- List of recent relevant publications from supervisor.
- Additional pages for appendices (e.g. charts, graphs, photos);
must be kept to a minimum and should be submitted only if essential
to the understanding of the application.
- Full CV of the candidate; including list of publications,
statement of career intentions and academic email address.
- Letter of support from the faculty tutor of clinical
- Copy of university scheme rules.
- Supporting letters from collaborators.
- Valid copy of ethical approval if relevant.
Sections 2-7 must not exceed 6 A4
sides. The PDF file size must not exceed 20MB.
Please ensure Arial font size 12 is used. If this
font size is not used, the application will be rejected prior to
There are no closing dates.
Please submit the application when it is ready. Receipt will be
acknowledged within 24 hours and we will advise you when you can
expect the result. A decision will be reached by the Fellowships Committee (4 meetings a year) after
it has considered external peer review reports.
Allow 6 months from submission to decision.