Intermediate Basic Science
To provide a career opportunity for
talented individuals hoping to become research leaders in an
established research institution in the UK.
- Usually 3-6 years successful postdoctoral work with a series of
first or senior author high impact research papers.
- Residency requirements apply – check eligibility.
- 4 years with the possibility of a 1 year extension if a strong
case can be made (e.g. that this will lead to a competitive
application for a more senior personal award).
- Up to 1 year of the award may be spent overseas subject to a
justified case being made.
Award may include
- Salary of applicant.
- Salary of a technician or research assistant if required and
- Research consumables, directly attributable to the
- Research equipment essential for the project.
How to apply
You will be asked to attach a single PDF document to your online
application form containing the following information:
- For resubmissions, include previous feedback
and provide a detailed response explaining how the revised
application has changed from the original submission.
Abstract of the proposed investigation in less than 150
- Background to the project and pilot
- Original hypothesis.
- Experimental details and design of proposed
- Expected value of results.
- List of references relevant to the proposed
- Full list of applicant's
- Additional pages for appendices (e.g. charts,
graphs, photos); must be kept to a minimum and should be submitted
only if essential to the understanding of the
- Letter of support from Head of
- Brief CV (2 A4 sides including email address)
of named staff (in addition to the applicant) for whom salary is
- Supporting letters from
- Quotes obtained for requested
- Valid copy of ethical approval if
Sections 2-7 must not exceed 6 A4 sides.
The PDF file size must not exceed 20MB.
Please ensure Arial font size 12 is used. If this
font size is not used, the application will be rejected prior to
There are no closing dates.
Please submit the application when it is ready. Receipt will be
acknowledged within 24 hours and we will advise you when you can
expect the result. Candidates may be interviewed and a decision on
this will be reached by the Fellowships
Committee (4 meetings a year) after it has considered external
peer review reports.
Allow 9 months from submission to decision.