Clinical Research Training Fellowship
To provide a foundation in research training
for medically qualified graduates in an established research
institution in the UK.
- Application should usually be after
Foundation year 2, but before award of a CCT
- Residency requirements apply –
- Usually 3 years to complete a PhD, although applications for 2
years to complete an MD or equivalent will be considered.
Award may include
- Salary of applicant.
- Research consumables, directly attributable to the project,
usually less than £10,000 per year, but larger amounts will be
considered if fully justified.
How to apply
- Read the information in How
- If you are applying for funding for a clinical study, also
- Log onto the online application
- Complete all the sections of the on line application form
following the instructions in the GMS User
Who can apply?
- The on line application form must be completed by an
established investigator who will be the supervisor and may be for
a named student only.
- The primary supervisor must devote a minimum of 10% of their
time to supervising the student and a second supervisor should also
You will be asked to attach a single PDF document to your online
application form containing the following information:
- For resubmissions, include previous feedback
and provide a detailed response explaining how the revised
application has changed from the original submission.
Abstract of the proposed investigation in less than 150
- Background to the project and pilot
- Original hypothesis.
- Experimental details and design of proposed
- Expected value of results.
- List of references relevant to the proposed
- List of recent relevant publications from
- Additional pages for appendices (e.g. charts,
graphs, photos); must be kept to a minimum and should be submitted
only if essential to the understanding of the
- Statement detailing the scientific techniques
in which the candidate will be trained.
- Candidate’s training programme listing skills
to be acquired during the grant.
- Full CV of the candidate; including list of
publications, statement of career intentions and academic email
- Supporting letters from
- Valid copy of ethical approval if
Sections 2-7 must not exceed 6 A4
sides. The PDF file size must not exceed 20MB.
Please ensure Arial font size 12 is used. If this
font size is not used, the application will be rejected prior to
There are no closing dates.
Please submit the application when it is ready. Receipt will be
acknowledged within 24 hours and we will advise you when you can
expect the result. A decision will be reached by the Fellowships Committee (4 meetings a year)
after it has considered external peer review reports.
Allow 6 months from submission to decision.