Advanced Training Award
To provide younger researchers within
one to three years of submitting a PhD with an opportunity to
re-train and gain additional expertise in an established research
institution in the UK.
Candidates must be moving into a different field of science
(e.g. from cell biology to bioinformatics or entering
cardiovascular science from a different discipline).
- Apply within 1 to 3 years of
submitting a PhD.
- Residency requirements apply –
Duration of grant
- 2 or 3 years.
- The fellowship may be taken up on a part-time employment basis,
where appropriate, following discussion and agreement with us and
the employing institution.
Award may include
- Salary of applicant.
- Research consumables, directly attributable to the project,
usually less than £10,000 per year.
How to apply
Who can apply?
- The application must be made by an established investigator who
will be the supervisor.
- The primary supervisor must devote a minimum of 10% of their
time to supervising the student and a second supervisor should also
You will be asked to attach a single PDF document to your online
application form containing the following information:
- For resubmissions, include previous feedback
and provide a detailed response explaining how the revised
application has changed from the original submission.
- Abstract of the proposed investigation in
less than 150 words.
Background to the project and pilot data.
- Original hypothesis.
- Experimental details and design of proposed
- Expected value of results.
- List of references relevant to the proposed
- List of recent relevant publications from
- Additional pages for appendices (e.g. charts,
graphs, photos); must be kept to a minimum and should be submitted
only if essential to the understanding of the
- Statement detailing the scientific techniques
in which the candidate will be trained.
- Full CV of the candidate; including list of
publications, statement of career intentions and email
- Supporting letters from
- Valid copy of ethical approval if
Sections 2-7 must not exceed 6 A4
sides. The PDF file size must not exceed 20MB.
Please ensure Arial font size 12 is used. If this
font size is not used, the application will be rejected prior to
There are no closing dates.
Please submit the application when it is ready. Receipt will be
acknowledged within 24 hours and we will advise you when you can
expect the result. A decision will be reached by the Fellowships Committee (4 meetings a year) after
it has considered external peer review reports.
Allow 6 months from submission to decision.